- Associate Professor, Materials Science Engineering
1248 Adams Drive
Columbus, OH 43221
Dave Farson, associate professor in the welding engineering program, has extensive background in the welding engineering and laser materials processing practice, research and education. He received Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in Welding Engineering from Ohio State University. His PhD in Electrical Engineering, also from OSU, was in the major area of control systems with minors in welding engineering, digital systems and mathematics. He worked at Westinghouse Electric R&D Center and Penn State’s Applied Research Laboratory, where he was a deputy head of the Laser Processing Department and graduate faculty in the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department. He teaches courses in laser materials processing and manufacturing process automation and control.
As a faculty, he has been active in laser materials processing and materials joining research that ranges from industrial welding applications development to basic research into the mechanisms of nanoscale surface modification processes.
Dr. Farson has been very active in technical society activities, serving as President, Board Member and other offices for Laser Institute of America. He was elected as Fellow of LIA in 1997. He also has served on the Awards, Technical Papers, Research, and Conference committees of the American Welding Society and was elected as fellow of AWS is 2011. He co-edited LIA’s Handbook of Laser Materials Processing, a major reference work for researchers and commercial users of laser processing and serves as an Associate Editor of LIA’s Journal of Laser Applications.
2007 Lumley Research Award.
AF Davis Silver Medal Award.
- Lim YC, Johnson J, Fei ZZ, Wu Y, Farson DF, Lannutti JJ, Choi HW, Lee LJ, 2011, "Micropatterning and Characterization of Electrospun Poly(epsilon-Caprolactone)/Gelatin Nanofiber Tissue Scaffolds by Femtosecond Laser Ablation for Tissue Engineering Applications." Biotechnology and Bioengineering 108, no. 1, 116-126 - 116-126.
- Lim YC, Yu X, Cho JH, Sosa J, Farson DF, Babu SS, McCracken S, Flesner B, 2010, "Effect of magnetic stirring on grain structure refinement Part 1-Nickel alloy weld overlays." Science and Technology of Welding and Joining 15, no. 7, 583-589 - 583-589.
- Fei ZZ, Hu X, Choi HW, Wang SN, Farson DF, Lee L, 2010, "Micronozzle Array Enhanced Sandwich Electroporation of Embryonic Stem Cells." Analytical Chemistry 82, no. 1, 353-358 - 353-358.
- J.Z. Chen, D.F. Farson, 2010, "Coaxial Vision Monitoring of LBW/GMAW Hybrid WeldingProcess." Materials Evaluation 68, no. 12, 1318-1328 - 1318-1328.
- A.Y. Yi, W. Lu, D. F. Farson, L. James Lee, 2008, "Overview of PolymerMicro/Nanomanufacturing for Biomedical Applications." Advances in Polymer Technology 27, no. 4, 1-11 - 1-11.
- N. Wang, S. I. Rokhlin, D. F. Farson, 2008, "Surface Premelting of Au Nanoparticles: Molecular Dynamics Study." Nanotechnology 41, no. 19, 415701 - 415701.
- Z. Hu, D. F. Farson, 2008, "Design of a waveform tracking system for a piezoelectric actuator." Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering 222, no. 1, 11-22 - 11-22.
- Chen,J; Farson,D,F; Rokhlin,S,I, 2007, "Femtosecond laser stimulation of electrical discharges in submicron and nanoscale gaps." APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 90, no. 20, 201505 - 201505.
- MARSICO,T; Farson,D, 1995, "Shipbuilding applications of Nd:YAG lasers." ICALEO'95 - PROCEEDINGS OF THE LASER MATERIALS PROCESSING CONFERENCE 80, 844-844 - 844-844.
- Farson,D; Hillsley,K; Sames,J; Young,R, 1994, "FREQUENCY-TIME CHARACTERISTICS OF AIR-BORNE SIGNALS FROM LASER WELDS." LASER MATERIALS PROCESSING - ICALEO 94 2500, 86-94 - 86-94.
- Farson,D, 1994, "INNOVATIONS IMPROVE INDUSTRIAL LASER SYSTEMS." PHOTONICS SPECTRA 28, no. 9, 92-? - 92-?.
- Farson,D, 1994, "NEW LASER PROCESSING APPLICATIONS SESSIONS HIGHLIGHT INTERESTING INNOVATIVE ADVANCES." JOURNAL OF LASER APPLICATIONS 6, no. 3, 135-136 - 135-136.