The MSE department provides outgoing mail service via two services: US Postal Service (meter mail) for non-express shipments and United Parcel Service (UPS) for express mailings.
- Important: Billing account numbers (also known as "chart field numbers") are required to mail items. For account numbers, please contact a supervisor, advisor, Principal Investigator, or Mei Wang, MSE-WE Fiscal Officer.
- Ohio State Receiving and Mail
Provides drop-box locations, policies, and more.
Service Center: 614-292-2694
OSU-UPS Pickup: 614-292-6967
- Track mailings
The Receiving and Mail department can provide a tracking number to check the status of mailings (requires OSU login).
- UPS Guide for Shipping Hazardous Materials
Research will, at times, require the shipping of materials which are potentially hazardous or dangerous. As a shipper of a hazardous material or dangerous good, you are required to correctly classify, package, and ship the material. In-depth information provided by UPS.
Dry ice is considered a hazardous material. If you are using Dry Ice, the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials (link above) describes your responsibilities as a shipper when preparing a hazardous material for transport with UPS.
Required: account bar code label from advisor/PI/department which is used to bill the mailing to a specific account. To generate the needed bar code for postage, the advisor/PI should use the Meter Mail Request form (requires OSU log in) found on the OSU Receiving and Mail web site.
Attach the account label to the envelope or package. Remember to fully address the mailing including a return address with the sender's name.
Fully address, affix account label, and drop off envelope at either of these locations:
- Fontana Laboratories (Suite 2136) - Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering administrative offices. Mailing will be included with next out-going mail pick up (typically by 9:30 a.m. on business days).
- Campus drop-boxes. US Postal Service Meter Mailings may be dropped in any "Campus Mail" drop box found on campus (closest is located in front of Stillman Hall, about one block south of Fontana). These boxes collect both on-campus inter-office mailings and meter mail. Pick-up times are provided on the drop-box.
Fully address, affix account label, and drop off package with staff in Fontana Labs Department of Materials Science and Engineering suite - second floor.
- If package is small and easily handled, it will be included with next out-going mail pick up (typically by 9:30 a.m. on business days).
- If package is bulky, large, and/or heavy (greater than 5 lbs.), sender must arrange with University Mail Services (requires OSU Login) for package pick up.
Request UPS shipping label
Generation of a UPS mailing label is done on-line using the link above. The form at the link above collects data used by department staff who will input the information into the UPS system and generate a shipping label. This includes such data such as:
- Recipient's full address,
- Recipient's daytime phone number and email address, if known,
- Approximate weight and dimensions of the package,
- Insured value, if any, etc.
A PDF of the shipping label will be emailed to the sender. This is to be printed and affixed to the out-going package.
The sender--not MSE staff--must arrange with University Mail Services (requires OSU login) a location for package pick up. Print the Pickup Ref ID sheet and attach to package.
For those trained to use UPS Complete View. A help wiki providing detailed information on the completion of the UPS Complete View fields and screens.
Be trained to use the UPS on-line system
OSU's Receiving and Mail office provides training on the use of the UPS shipping system, UPS Complete View. Training involves a one-hour session at the University Mail facility on Kenny Road. This self-service has a number of benefits including:
- By-pass the department staff and generate UPS mailing labels from your computer,
- Receive email notification of pick-ups, deliveries, and problems, sent to both for the sender and the recipient,
- Control over selection of shipping costs,
- Tracking and history features,
- Address book for common recipients, and more.
For training, please contact the Receiving and Mail office (see UPS Training link on Receiving and Mail's site).