Prospective graduate students

Information for those prospective students seeking to earn a Master's or Ph.D. degree in Materials Science and Engineering or Welding Engineering. Applicants must hold a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent prior to the proposed term of admission.
Note regarding polymers study*


MSE and WE graduate application information
Provides application procedures for applicants to the MSE and WE graduate programs. Includes information on required documentation & forms, deadlines, financial aid, and more.

Application requirements
Link to online application form, required documents, Admissions Office contacts, and other helpful information. 

Transferring within Ohio State

OSU graduate program transfer process
Graduate students currently or previously enrolled in a graduate degree-seeking program at The Ohio State University may petition to transfer into the MSE or WE graduate program. Note: such students do not need to re-apply to the university and do not need to submit an OSU Application to Graduate School.

Financial aid options

Graduate-level financial aid information
The primary aid provided by the department comes in the form of a Graduate Research Associateship (GRA). Also, all applicants to the MSE/WE graduate program are considered for the prestigious University Fellowship Award. Includes further information on these forms of funding.

Degree requirements for the MS & PhD degrees

MSE and WE graduate degrees
Links to the degree requirements for our three degree tracks, Master's with and without thesis and PhD. Includes information on approximate time frames for completion, course work requirements, and details concerning the student's defense of his/her thesis.


* A note regarding polymers study at Ohio State: The Department of Materials Science and Engineering explores the use of polymers in relation to biomaterials and fuel cell applications. The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering tends to study the more "traditional" fields of polymeric science (synopsis of the CBE department's research). You may contact Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering via the link above or by phone at 614-292-9076.


Mark Cooper
Graduate Studies Coordinator, MSE & WE
(614) 292-7280