Faculty Resources

Links to resources around the university helpful for faculty.


New Faculty Resources

View New Faculty Resources
Summary of resources and contacts to aid new (and not so new) faculty navigate their place within the university.

Office of Faculty Affairs

The Office of Faculty Affairs seeks to develop, curate, and connect academic resources, programming and structures to support faculty success across the entire career life cycle.

Policy Statements for Syllabi

Policy Statements for Syllabi

Course syllabus recommendations; statements to be included on syllabi such as academic integrity, disability accommodations, and sexual harassment policies.

Graduate School

Link to Graduate School site

Graduate Applications - EDWARD Database

The Graduate School works with Ohio State's colleges and graduate programs to ensure that Ohio State is offering the highest quality graduate degree experiences to its students. (see also Quick Links page)

Graduate School Handbook



Requires OSU login. Site to post approval / disapproval of various on-line forms for graduate student events such as Candidacy Examination, MS / PhD oral defense, final approval of thesis / dissertation, and more.

Graduate Faculty Category M & P Status

In order to advise graduate students at OSU, tenure-track or clinical-track faculty must be a member of the graduate faculty. To be part of the graduate faculty one must hold Category M or P status with the Graduate School. M or P status in MSE or WE is requested by completing the MSE/WE online form.

Category M/P status in MSE or WE

Minimum qualifications:

  • Category M--one must hold a Master's degree or higher, or equivalent, and hold a tenure-track or clinical faculty appointment at Ohio State. 
  • Category P--one must hold an earned Ph.D., D.M.A., Ed.D., or equivalent, must hold an appointment as a tenure-track or research-track faculty member at Ohio State, and must be engaged in an active program of research, scholarship, or creative activity, or demonstrate significant promise of establishing such a program. 

Rights and responsibilities:

  • Category M--act as advisor only to Master's students; participates in the governance of graduate education at all levels within the university; and serves on doctoral examination committees at the discretion of the Graduate Studies Committee.
  • Category P--acts as the advisor for Master’s and Doctoral students; participates in the governance of graduate education at all levels within the university; serves on doctoral examination committees; serves as a Graduate Faculty Representative on candidacy examinations and final oral examinations. [Note that Category P status is required to chair a Candidacy Examination in MSE/WE and to chair a doctoral examination.]

Student Funding

This is far from an exhaustive list, but there are a number of forms or sources of funding for our students at the university and beyond.


  • Departmental scholarship funds--please contact Kami Westhoff, MSE/WE Undergraduate Advisor, for more information.
  • Office of Student Financial Aid--information of scholarship and loan options. SFA is available for undergraduate and graduate students.


  • Graduate Research Associateship (GRA)--The primary source of funding for our graduate students. See also Graduate Associates (GA) information in the Graduate School Handbook.
  • Graduate Fellowships--The Graduate School offers a number of fellowship opportunities aimed at recruiting, rewarding, and retaining graduate students.
  • Graduate School Grants--Multiple offices provide financial support for graduate students pursuing research, professional development, and career development opportunities.
  • Matching Tuition and Fee Award (MTFA)--An MTFA provides the tuition and fees portion of a student's cost with the idea that another funding source would provide the stipend. More specifically, an MTFA covers instructional, general, non-resident, and learning technology fees only. It does not cover any portion of the OSU Student Health Insurance premium, nor does the MTFA cover student-related fees (RPAC, COTA, Student Activities, Student Union).

    MTFAs are often requested in conjunction with center proposals to help share costs with the university and allow the center to get staffed with students more quickly. MTFAs are also available to recruit Fulbright recipients (OSU pays the tuition, Fulbright pays the stipend).

    MTFAs are limited in number and require a (somewhat lengthy) pre-approval process. Please contact Mark Cooper (.73, 614-292-7280) as early as possible for more details.
  • External fellowships--Funding sources vary, so probably best to ask other faculty for suggested options.

Textbook Orders

Link to textbook ordering instructions

MSE and WE instructors should order texts via the Barnes & Noble OSU Bookstore Adoption & Insights Portal (AIP). Orders placed via this process are shared by the OSU Bookstore with other campus bookstores.


Link to Registrar's site

The mission of the University Registrar's office is to help identified students enroll and then succeed by providing first-rate customer service to faculty, staff, students, their families, and other public groups; with a particular emphasis toward processes related to academic records, academic progress, enrollment data, classroom support, academic certification, fee assessment, and national and institutional testing. 

University Academic Calendar

Calendar for next five academic years, including term start-end dates, breaks, holidays, and more.

Registrar forms

Requires OSU login. Provides link to commonly used forms, including the on-line process for changing or posting a missing grade.

Human Resources

Link to Ohio State HR site

Consulting or supplemental employment