Dr. Sheikh A. Akbar is a Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and founder of the National Science Foundation (NSF) Center for Industrial Sensors and Measurements (CISM). His recent work deals with synthesis-microstructure-property relations of ceramic bulk, thin-film and nano-heterostructures.
Awards and honors
- 2018 Fellow of the Electrochemical Society
- 2017, 2016 received the Mars G. Fontana Outstanding Teacher Award in Materials Science and Engineering
- 2017 distinguished lecturer in SJTU International Summer School of Advanced Materials (ISS-AM) in Shanghai, China
- 2012 Electrochemical Society Sensor Division Outstanding Achievement Award
- 2007, 2005 his sensors received three R&D 100 Awards as part of the 100 best inventions, selected by R&D Magazine
- 2005 NASA TGIR (turning goal into reality) award
- 2002 Tan Chin Tuan Fellow of Nanyang Technological University in Singapore
- 2002 W.E. Cramer Award of the American Ceramic Society
- 2001 Fulrath Award
- 2001 Fellow of the American Ceramic Society
- 1993 B.F. Goodrich Collegiate Inventors Award for the development of a rugged and durable CO/H2 sensor; one of three national awards.
- 2018 - present Editor of Sensors and Actuators B; Chemical
- 2008 Chair of the 12th International Conference on Chemical Sensors (IMCS-12). This meeting was attended by 330 participants from more than 30 countries.
- International Advisory Committee of CIMTEC conferences
- Steering Committee of the International Conference on Engineering Education (ICEE)
- Technical Steering Committee of the US-DOE Sensor and Controls Program
- Steering Committee of the US-Japan Conference on Sensor Systems for the 21st Century
- Editorial Boards for:
- Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanomanufacturing
- Materials Focus
- Ceramics International
- Journal of Nanomaterials
- Sensor Letters
- Frontiers in Materials (Function Ceramics Chief Editor for two years).
- co-organized sensor symposia for:
- American Ceramic Society
- Electrochemical Society
- IMCS (USA, Korea, Austria, Canada)
- ICMAT (Singapore), AMEC-4 (China)
- ICC3 (Japan)
- CMCEE (Canada)
- ICC8 (Korea)
Notable publications and books
- Dr. Akbar has co-edited two books on sensors.
- He has published more than 225 technical papers and holds 8 patents with an h-index of 47.
- 2019 Guest editor of a special issued titled “Nano-hetero-structures for Chemical Sensing: Opportunities and Challenges” published in Frontiers in Materials
- Principal editor of special issues titled, “Nano-structured Ceramic Oxides: Challenges and Opportunities” and “Energy and Environment: Role of Advanced Materials” published by the American Scientific Publisher in 2011 and 2014, respectively.
- 2012 Guest editor of a special issue titled, “Sensing at the Nano-scale: Chemical and Biosensing” published Sensors
- 2003 Guest editor for two special sections of the Journal of Materials Science, “Chemical Sensors for Pollution Monitoring and Control” and “Chemical and Bioceramics”
B.S. and M.S. in solid state physics
PhD in Materials Engineering
Dr. Akbar's recent work deals with synthesis-microstructure-property relations of ceramic bulk, thin-film and nano-heterostructures for electrochemical devices (sensors and fuel cells) and biomedical applications.