- Associate Professor, Materials Science Engineering
1248 Arthur Adams Drive, Columbus, Ohio, 43221, United States
1248 Arthur Adams Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43221
Dr. Wei Zhang is an Associate Professor at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering - Welding Engineering Program in The Ohio State University. He is also a Core Faculty for The Simulation Innovation and Modeling Center (SIMCenter).
Prior to coming to OSU in January 2013, he worked as a Senior Researcher at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) from 2008-2012 and as an Engineer Team Leader at the Edison Welding Institute (EWI) from 2004-2008. He earned his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University in Spring 2004. His B.S. and M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering were both earned at the Huazhong University of Science and Technology in China.
Dr. Zhang’s research fields at OSU are focused on:
- Integrated computational materials engineering (ICME) for welding and additive manufacturing
- Material constitutive behavior under extreme deformation and temperature conditions
- Neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction of phase transformations
Please visit Dr. Zhang’s website for more information: http://icme-w.engineering.osu.edu/
Adams Memorial Membership Award in recognition of teaching activities that have advanced the knowledge of welding at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Koichi Masubuchi Award for significant contributions to the advancement of science and technology of materials joining through research and development.
UT-Battelle Significant Event Award from for significant research accomplishment by a research team.
Henri Granjon Prize for the best paper in the category of Joining and Fabrication Technology.
William Spraragen Memorial Award for best paper published in Welding Journal.
Graduate Fellowship Award for Outstanding Graduate Research.
Kenneth Easterling Best Paper Award for the best paper presented at International Seminar Numerical Analysis of Weldability.
Kennametal Fellowship Award for Outstanding Graduate Research.
- 2018. "Physics of Welding and Cutting, updated and revised from the chapter of the same title, 2001." In Welding Handbook Volume 1: Welding Technology,
- 2011. "Fluid Flow Phenomena during Welding, updated and revised from the chapter of the same title by C.R. Heiple and P. Burgardt, 1993." In ASM Handbook, Volume 6A Welding Fundamentals and Processes,
- 2011. "Modeling of Heat and Mass Transfer in Fusion Welding." In ASM Handbook, Volume 6A Welding Fundamentals and Processes, edited by T. Lienert, T. Siewert, S. Babu, and V. Acoff,
- Semiatin, S.L.; Mahaffey, D.W.; Tung, D.J.; Zhang, W. et al., 2017, "A Comparison of the Plastic-Flow Response of a Powder-Metallurgy Nickel-Base Superalloy Under Nominally-Isothermal and Transient-Heating Hot-Working Conditions." Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 48, no. 4, 1864-1879 - 1864-1879.
- Chen, J.; Zhang, W.; Feng, Z.; Cai, W., 2014, "Determination of thermal contact conductance between thin metal sheets of battery tabs." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 69, 473-480 - 473-480.
- Ohriner, E.K.; Zhang, W.; Ulrich, G.B., 2012, "Analysis of abrasive blasting of DOP-26 iridium alloy." International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 35, 122-126 - 122-126.
- Yu, Z.; Zhang, W.; Choo, H.; Feng, Z., 2012, "Transient Heat and Material Flow Modeling of Friction Stir Processing of Magnesium Alloy using Threaded Tool." Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 43, no. 2, 724-737 - 724-737.
- Wang, X-L.; An, K.; Cai, L.; Feng, Z. et al., 2012, "Visualizing the chemistry and structure dynamics in lithium-ion batteries by in-situ neutron diffraction." Scientific Reports 2,
- Zhang, W.; Feng, Z.; Crooker, P., 2011, "Improved procedure for computing residual stresses from neutron diffraction data and its application to multipass dissimilar welds." Science and Technology of Welding and Joining 16, no. 3, 254-260 - 254-260.
- Du, Y.; Zhang, W.; Whitten, W.; Li, H. et al., 2010, "Membrane-Extraction Ion Mobility Spectrometry for in Situ Detection of Chlorinated Hydrocarbons in Water." Analytical Chemistry 82, no. 10, 4089-4096 - 4089-4096.
- Zhang, W.; Du, Y.; Feng, Z.; Xu, J., 2010, "Transport modeling of membrane extraction of chlorinated hydrocarbon from water for ion mobility spectrometry." International Journal for Ion Mobility Spectrometry 13, no. 2, 65-71 - 65-71.
- Zhang, W., 2006, "Henry granjon prize competition 2006 co-winner, category A "joining and fabrication technology" numerical modelling of heat transfer, fluid flow and microstructural evolution during fusion welding of alloys." Welding in the World 50, no. 9-10, 12-22 - 12-22.
- Borchers, T.E.; Seid, A.; Shafer, P.; Zhang, W., "Exacerbated Stress Corrosion Cracking in Arc Welds of High-Strength Aluminum Alloys." Welding in the World
- "Physics-based Model for Laser Additive Manufacturing - Needs for Material Property Data and in-situ Experimental Measurement." 2017, Presented at NIST Instrumented Laser Joining Workshop,
- "Simulation of Deformation and Fracture Behaviors in Resistance Spot Weld of Advanced High-Strength Steel." 2017, Presented at 70th IIW International Conference,
- "Meso-scale Modeling of Formation of Balling Defect in Laser-Powder Bed Fusion Additive Manufacturing." 2017, Presented at Materials Science & Engineering Seminar, Youngstown State University,
- "Empowering Students with Computational Modeling Tools for Welding Design and Analysis." 2016, Presented at AWS Adams Memorial Lecture,
- "Meso-scale modeling of formation of balling defect in laser-powder bed fusion additive manufacturing." 2016, Presented at 10th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research,
- "Numerical Modeling of Welding and Additive Manufacturing." 2016, Presented at AWS Workshop on Welding of Advanced Materials,
- "Light Automotive Structures – Welding and Analysis." 2017, Presented at AWS Workshop on Welding/Joining Advanced Materials for the Automotive Industry,
- "Effect of Alloying Elements in Determination of Melt Pool Characteristics." 2015, Presented at TMS Workshop on Simulation of Additive Manufacturing Technologies,
- "Neutron Diffraction: Experiments and Simulation of Residual Stresses in Directed Metal Deposition and Welding Processes." 2015, Presented at TMS Workshop on Simulation of Additive Manufacturing Technologies,
- "Toward an Improved Understanding of Weldability of Advanced Structural Materials." 2015, Presented at International Symposium on Advanced Manufacture Technology in Aerospace,
- "Welding and Additive Manufacturing of Advanced Structural Metals." 2014, Presented at OSU Materials Week Conference,
- "Multiphysics Modeling of Welding Processes - Challenges and Opportunities for Widespread Deployment in Industry." 2014, Presented at NIST Seminar,
- "Integrated Computational Materials Engineering of Welding Processes and Welded Materials." 2013, Presented at Colloquium at Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Pennsylvania State University,
Papers in Proceedings
- Huang, T.D.; Zhang, W. "ICME and Cost Models Development for Ship Production." in 2017 SNAME Maritime Convention. (1 2017).
- Borchers, T.E.; Zhang, W. "Fused-Overlap Zone in Aluminum Arc Welds: Tendency of Formation and Effect on Corrosion." in 10th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research. (10 2016).
- Lu, Y.; Peer, A.; Abke, T.; Kimchi, M. et al. "Heat-Affected Zone Microstructure and Local Constitutive Behaviors of Resistance Spot Welded Hot-Stamped Steel." in Sheet Metal Welding Conference XVII. (10 2016).
- Li, Y.; Zhang, W.; Lee, Y.; Marchal, J. et al. "Meso-scale modeling of formation of balling defect in laser-powder bed fusion additive manufacturing." in 10th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research. (10 2016).
- Huang, T.D.; Harbison, M.; Scholler, S.; Zhang, W. et al. "Robust Distortion Control Methods and Implementation for Construction of Lightweight Metallic Structures." in 2016 SNAME Maritime Convention. (11 2016).
- Andrea Peer, Ying Lu, Tim Abke, Menachem Kimchi, and Wei Zhang "Deformation Behaviors of Subcritical Heat-affected Zone of Ultra-high Strength Steel Resistance Spot Welds." in 9th International Seminar & Conference on Advances in Resistance Spot Welding. (3 2016).
- Y.S. Lee and Wei Zhang "Mesoscopic Simulation of Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Laser Powder Bed Additive Manufacturing." in 2015 Annual International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium. (8 2015).
- T. E. Borchers, A. Seid, Wei Zhang, P. Shafer, S. S. Babu and D. H. Phillips "Stress Corrosion Cracking Susceptibility of Gas Metal Arc Welded 7xxx Series Aluminum Alloys." in Sheet Metal Welding Conference XVI. (10 2014).
- Yong Chae Lim, Samuel Sanderson, Murray Mahoney, Dongxiao Qiao, Yanli Wang, Wei Zhang and Zhili Feng "Mechanical Properties and Microstructural Characterization of a Multilayered Multipass Friction Stir Weld in Steel." (5 2013).
- Wei Zhang, Fei Ren, Zhli Feng, Jy-An Wang, Maan Jawad, Michael Kelly, and Fariborz Vossoughi "Design Analysis of Steel Concrete Composite Vessel for Stationary Storage of High-Pressure Hydrogen." (12 2012).
- Yu, Z.; Choo, H.; Zhang, W.; Feng, Z. et al. "Influence of friction-stir-welding parameters on texture and tensile behavior." (12 2011).
- Sabau, A.S.; Wright, I.G.; Zhang, W.; Bruce, B.P. et al. "Temperature evolution and oxide growth in waterwall tubes of supercritical units." in International Conference on Boiler Tube & Heat Recovery Steam Generator Tube Failures and Inspections. (4 2011).
- Woo, W.; Chinc, C.W.; Fenga, Z.; Wang, H. et al. "Application of infrared imaging for quality inspection in resistance spot welds." (9 2009).
- Zhang, W.; Gan, W.; Yang, Y.; Khurana, S.P. et al. "Integrated computational modeling for fabrication and service life extension of pipe and tube for energy applications." (12 2007).
- Babu, S.S.; Yang, Y.P.; Zhang, W.; Khurana, S. "Integrated Modeling of Process, Microstructure and Performance: An Application to the Study of Weld-Cracking in Nickel Base Superalloys." in 17th AeroMat Conference & Exposition. (1 2006).
- Wei Zhang, T. A. Palmer, J. W. Elmer and T. DebRoy "Ferrite Formation in a Duplex Stainless Steel during Controlled Heating: X-ray Diffraction and Modeling Using Para-equilibrium Diffusion Kinetics." in 7th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research. (5 2005).
- Elmer, J.W.; Palmer, T.A.; Babu, S.S.; Zhang, W. et al. "In-situ Observations of Phase Transformations in the Fusion Zone of Ti-6Al-4V Alloy Transient Welds using Synchrotron Radiation." in Proceedings of 7th International Seminar on Numerical Analysis of Weldability. (9 2005).
- Wei Zhang, J. W. Elmer and T. DebRoy "Modeling and real time mapping of phases during GTA welding of 1005 steel." in 6th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research. (4 2002).
- Zhang, W.; DebRoy, T. "Modeling of Solidified Free Surface Profile during GMA Welding." in Mathematical Modeling and Information Technology in Welding and Related Processes. (8 2002).
- Warren, J.; Das, S.; Zhang, W. "Manufacturing Process Modeling of 100-400 kWe Combined Heat and Power Stationary Fuel Cell Systems." in 10th International Conference on Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology.
- Yang, Y.P.; Zhang, W.; Bohr, J.; Kimchi, M. "Development of Online Weld Modeling Tool for Automotive Applications." in 2009 International Automotive Body Congress.
- S. S. Babu, C. Conrardy, S. P. Khurana, Wei Zhang and W. Gan. "Remote High-Performance Computing Material Joining and Material Forming Modeling System and Method." Patent number: US 8,301,286 B2
- "Hydrogen Storage Container."
- "Welding methods including formation of an intermediate joint using a solid state welding process."
- "Systems and Methods for Determining Efficiency of Friction Welding Process."
- "Welding methods and welded joints for joining high-strength aluminum alloys."
- "Powder Packing for Additive Manufacturing Modeling."