- Associate Professor, Materials Science Engineering
- Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
2041 College Road
Columbus, OH 43210
Lumley Research Award.
Distinguished Undergraduate Research Mentor Award.
Herman Weed Award for Distinguished Teaching.
Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award.
Shriner's Hospitals for Children Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship.
National Defense Science amd Engineering Graduate Fellowship.
University Fellow, The Ohio State University.
Materials Research Society: Undergraduate Materials Research Initiative Proposal Funded.
National Association of Geoscience Teachers Field Camp Award.
- Powell, H.M., Lannutti, J.J., Kniss, D.A.. 2010. "Nanoscalar Modifications to Tissue Engineering Polymers: Physical Control of Cell Behavior." VDM Publishing Ltd..
- 2011. "Fluorescein diacetate for determination of cell viability in three-dimensional tissue engineered constructs." In Mammalian Cell Viability, edited by Martin Stoddart,
- Willard, J.J., Drexler, J.W., Das, A., Roy, S., Shilo, S., Shoseyov, O.,Powell, H.M., 2013, "Plant-Derived Human Recombinant Collagen Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering." Tissue Engineering Part A 19, no. 13-14, 1507-1518 - 1507-1518.
- Blackstone, B.N., Powell, H.M., 2012, "Morphogenesis and Biomechanics of Engineered Skin Cultured Under Uniaxial Strain." Advances in Wound Care 1, no. 1/2, 69-74 - 69-74.
- Blackstone, B.N., Wolever, J.D., and H.M. Powell, 2012, "Structural Alterations in Scaffold Architecture in Response to Mechanical Stimuli." Journal of Tissue Science and Engineering 3, no. 4, 122 - 122.
- Blackstone, B.N., Willard, J.J., Nelson, M.T., Hart, R.T., Lannutti, J.J., Powell, H.M., 2012, "Plasma surface modification of electrospun fibers for adhesion-based cancer cell sorting." Integrative Biology 4, no. 9, 1112-1121 - 1112-1121.
- Ebersole, G.C., Anderson, P.M., Powell, H.M., 2010, "Epidermal Differentiation Governs Engineered Skin Biomechanics." Journal of Biomechanics 16, no. 43, 3183-3190 - 3183-3190.
- Powell, H.M., K.L. McFarland, D.L. Butler, D.M. Supp and S.T. Boyce, 2010, "Uniaxial strain regulates gene expression, morphogenesis and tissue strength in engineered skin." Tissue Engineering A 16, no. 3, 1083-1092 - 1083-1092.
- Gundersen, S.I., Chen, G., Powell, H.M., Palmer, A.F., 2010, "Hemoglobin regulates the metabolic and synthetic function of rat insulinoma cells cultured in a hollow fiber bioreactor." Biotechnology and Bioengineering 3, no. 107, 582-592 - 582-592.
- Powell, H.M., Boyce, S.T., 2006, "EDC cross-linking improves skin substitute strength and stability." Biomaterials 27, no. 34, 5821-5827 - 5821-5827.
- Powell, H.M, Kniss, D.A., Lannutti, J.J., 2006, "Nanotopographic Control of Cytoskeletal Organization." Langmuir 22, no. 11, 5087-5094 - 5087-5094.
- Wang, H., Lee, J.K., Moursi, A.M., Anderson, D., Winnard, P., Powell, H., Lannutti, J.J., 2004, "Microstructural disassembly of calcium phosphates." Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 68A, no. 1, 61-70 - 61-70.
- Wang H, Lee JK, Moursi AM, Anderson D, Winnard P, Powell H, Lannutti J, 2004, "Microstructural disassembly of calcium phosphates." Journal of Biomedical Materials Research 68, no. 1, 61-70 - 61-70.
- Wang,Haibo; Lee,Jong-Kook; Moursi,Amr,M; Anderson,David; Winnard,Phillip; Powell,Heather; Lannutti,John, 2004, "Microstructural disassembly of calcium phosphates.." Journal of biomedical materials research. Part A 68, no. 1, 61-70 - 61-70.
- Fischer, S.N., Weber, M.E., Baran, C.P., Willard, J.J., Johnson, J., Sanders, J.A., Ostrowski, M.C., Lannutti, J.J., Powell, H.M., Ghadiali, S., and C.B. Marsh, "The biostructural and biomechanical effects of eta-2 phosphorylation in pulmonary fibrosis." American Journal of Physiology - Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology
- "Soft Tissue Biomechanics." 2009, Presented at University of Cincinnati,
- "Somatic Stem Cells for Tissue Engineering." 2009, Presented at Stem Cell Interest Group Meeting,
- "Mechano-Modulation of Burn Wound Scarring." 2010, Presented at Center for Clinical and Translational Science Pilot Awardee Symposium,
- "Composite Scaffolds for Skin Engineering." 2010, Presented at Heal Ohio Annual Meeting,
- "Mechanical and Molecular Strategies to Control Skin Mechanics." 2013, Presented at University of Minnesota, Big Ten BME Invited Lecture Series,
- "Influence of Scaffold Hydration on Fiber Geometry and Extension." 2011, Presented at MS&T Fall National Meeting,
- "A Combined Computational-Experimental Approach to Improving Engineered Skin Biomechanics." 2012, Presented at 5th Annual Translational to Clinical Regenerative Medicine Wound Care Conference,
- "Materials Development for Biomimetic Engineered Skin Mechanics." 2011, Presented at MS&T Fall National Meeting,
- "Engineered Skin: New Strategies for Biomechanical Mimicry." 2012, Presented at Mathematical Biosciences Institute Workshop on Tissue Engineering,
- "Biomaterial, Mechanical and Molecular Strategies to Control Skin Mechanics." 2013, Presented at University of Cincinnati, BME Seminar Series,
- "Biomaterial, Mechanical and Molecular Strategies to Control Skin Mechanics." 2013, Presented at University of Akron, BME Department Seminar,
- "Computational Modeling and Scaffold Design in Regenerative Medicine." 2013, Presented at 6th Annual Translational to Clinical Regenerative Medicine Wound Care Conference,
- "Engineered Skin Biomechanics: Balancing Biology and Materials Science." 2010, Presented at Department of Mechanical Science Colloquium Series,
- "Skin Biomechanics: Role of miRNA and Mechano-Modulation." 2012, Presented at Shriners Hospitals for Children Research Seminar,
- "Engineering Biomimetic Skin Mechanics." 2009, Presented at Dorothy M. Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute Research in Progress,
Papers in Proceedings
- Powell,Heather,M; McFarland,Kevin,L; Butler,David,L; Supp,Dorothy,M; Boyce,Steven,T "UNIAXIAL STRAIN REGULATES MORPHOGENESIS, GENE EXPRESSION AND TISSUE STRENGTH IN ENGINEERED SKIN." in Wound Healing Society Annual Meeting. (3 2009).
- Nirmalanandhan, V.S., Kinneberg, K.R.C., Juncosa-Melvin, N., Powell, H.M., Rao, M., Boyce, S.T., Butler, D.L. "Evaluation of a novel scaffold material for tendon tissue engineering." in Proceeding of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference. (1 2007).
- Powell, H.M., Sen, C.K., Roy, S.. "VacAid: New Generation Band-Aid for Wound Care."
- Powell, H.M., Weirich T., Thomson, M.. "Device for Precise Delivery of Heat and Pressure for Burn Wound Generation."
- Powell, H.M., Lannutti, J.J., Blackstone, B.N.. "Adhesion-Based Cancer Cell Sorting via Electrospun Fiber." Patent number: 61/620,630
- Powell, H.M., Butler, D.L., Lannutti, J.J., Gilday, S.. "Directed Drug Delivery Scaffold for Improving Tendon-Bone Repair."