Dr. Alan Luo is the FEF Key Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering and the Department of Integrated Systems Engineering (Manufacturing Group) at The Ohio State University.
Prior to joining Ohio State in July 2013, Dr. Luo was a GM Technical Fellow at General Motors Global Research and Development Center (Warren, MI, USA) with 20 years of industrial experience. Professor Luo is a past chair of TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society) Light Metals Division and SAE Materials Engineering Activity Division.
He has 20 patents and more than 240 technical publications in advanced materials, manufacturing and applications.
Honors and Appointments
- Recipient of the Distinguished Scientist Award
- Professor Luo is an elected Fellow of ASM (American Society of Metals) International and SAE (Society for Automotive Engineers) International.
- Recipient of the Ralph L. Boyer Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Engineering Innovation Award at Ohio State
- Recipient of two John M. Campbell Awards for his fundamental research at GM
- Recipient of three Charles L. McCuen Awards for research applications at GM
- Recipient of the TMS Brimacombe Medalist Award
- Recipient of the TMS Light Metals Technology Award
- Recipient of the SAE Forest R. McFarland Award
- Recipient of the USCAR (United States Council for Automotive Research) Special Recognition Award
- Recipient of the ASM Materials Science Research Silver Medal
- Lightweight materials (aluminum, magnesium, titanium & high-entropy alloys, bio-metals, super-wood, and nanocomposites)
- Advanced manufacturing processes (casting, forming, additive manufacturing, and multi-material manufacturing)
- Lightweight design and integrated computational materials engineering (ICME)
Dr. Luo’s research has been recognized through Best Paper awards from TMS, SAE and AFS (American Foundry Society), CALPHAD journal and Journal of Magnesium and Alloys. He has received Application Awards from AFS, North American Die Casting Association (NADCA) and International Magnesium Association (IMA).