Dr. Alan Luo is Donald D. Glower Chair in Engineering and Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering and the Department of Integrated Systems Engineering (Manufacturing Group) at The Ohio State University. He leads the Lightweight Materials and Manufacturing Research Laboratory and is Director of the Advanced Casting Research Center at Ohio State. He is an elected member of the National Academy of Engineering (NAE), as well as a fellow of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS), Society for Automotive Engineers (SAE), and American Society of Metals (ASM). He also serves as a technical leader at The REMADE (Reducing EMbodied-Energy And Decreasing Emissions) Institute.
Prior to joining Ohio State in 2013, Dr. Luo was a GM Technical Fellow at General Motors Global Research and Development Center (Warren, MI, USA) with 20 years of industrial experience. Professor Luo is a past chair of TMS Light Metals Division and SAE Materials Engineering Activity Division.
He has 21 patents and more than 340 technical publications in advanced materials, manufacturing and applications.
Major Honors and Awards
- Elected member of the National Academy of Engineering (NAE)
- Elected Fellow of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS)
Recipient of Merton Flemings Award for Scientific Achievements by Advanced Casting Research Center
- Recipient of the TMS Light Metals Division Technology Award and Distinguished Service Award
- Recipient of the Distinguished Scientist Award
- Elected Fellow of ASM (American Society of Metals) International and SAE (Society for Automotive Engineers) International
- Recipient of the Ralph L. Boyer Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Engineering Innovation Award at Ohio State
- Recipient of two John M. Campbell Awards for his fundamental research at GM
- Recipient of three Charles L. McCuen Awards for research applications at GM
- Recipient of the TMS Brimacombe Medalist Award
- Recipient of the SAE Forest R. McFarland Award
- Recipient of the USCAR (United States Council for Automotive Research) Special Recognition Award
- Recipient of the ASM Materials Science Research Silver Medal
- Lightweight materials (aluminum, magnesium, titanium & high-entropy alloys, bio-metals, superwood, and nanocomposites)
- Advanced and sustainable manufacturing processes (casting, forming, additive manufacturing, and multi-material manufacturing)
- Integrated computational materials engineering (ICME) and lightweight applications
Dr. Luo’s research has been recognized through Best Paper and Editor Choice awards from TMS, SAE and AFS (American Foundry Society), CALPHAD Journal, Journal of Phase Equilibria and Diffusion and Journal of Magnesium and Alloys. He has received Application awards from AFS, North American Die Casting Association (NADCA) and International Magnesium Association (IMA).