- Professor DNV Designated Chair, Materials Science Engineering
- Director, WastePD
- Dir., Fontana Corrosion Center
544 Macquigg Laboratory
105 W Woodruff Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
Fontana Corrosion Center at the Ohio State University. He earned the Sc.B. degree in Materials Science Engineering from Brown University and the Sc.D. degree in Materials Science and Engineering from MIT. Prior to joining OSU, he was a post doctoral researcher at the Swiss Federal Technical Institute in Zurich and then a Research Staff Member at the IBM Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, NY. Gerald S. Frankel is the DNV Chair, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, and Director of the
His primary research interests are in the degradation of materials, including passivation and localized corrosion of metals and alloys, atmospheric corrosion, corrosion inhibition, and protective coatings.
He is past chairman of the Corrosion Division of The Electrochemical Society and past chairman of the Research Committee of NACE. He is a technical editor of the Journal of the Electrochemical Society and a member of the editorial board of the journals Corrosion, Materials and Corrosion, and Corrosion Reviews.
In 2012, Frankel was appointed by President Barack Obama to the Nuclear Waste Technical Review Board.
Frankel is a fellow of NACE International, The Electrochemical Society, and ASM International. He received the W.R. Whitney Award from NACE International in 2015, Lee Hsun Lecture Award from IMR, China in 2014, U.R. Evans Award from the Institute of Corrosion in 2011, OSU Distinguished Scholar Award in 2010, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Research Award for Senior US Scientists in 2004, the 2010 ECS Corrosion Division H.H. Uhlig Award, the 2007 TP Hoar Prize from the UK Institute of Corrosion, the 2000 Uhlig Award from NACE, and the Harrison Faculty Award from the OSU College of Engineering in 2000. He was on sabbatical at the Max Planck Institute for Iron Research in Dusseldorf in 2005 and a visiting professor at the University of Paris in 2008. In 2009 he was named adjunct professor, Pohang Institute of Science and Technology, Graduate Institute of Ferrous Technology, Pohang, Korea. He was on sabbatical at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia in 2012 and at the Technion Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel in 2013.
DNV Chair in Corrosion.
Member of Nuclear Waste Technical Review Board.
W.R. Whitney Award.
Lee Hsun Lecture Award.
2012 E.B. Yeager Award of the Cleveland Section of ECS.
UR Evans Award, Institute of Corrosion.
OSU Office of Research Distinguished Scholar Award.
HH Uhlig Award, ECS Corrosion Division.
TP Hoar Prize.
SERDP Project of the Year Award.
Fellow of ASM International.
Fellow of The Electrochemical Society.
Fellow of NACE International.
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Research Award for Senior U.S. Scientist.
OSU College of Engineering Harrison Faculty Award.
NACE International HH Uhlig Educator Award.
- Khun, W, Adhikari, S, Li, YY, Frankel, GS, McGee, J, Smith, T, Bammel, B, Zimmerman, J, 2017, "Corrosion protection of galvanized steel by a thin hybrid inorganic/organic coating." CORROSION 73, 339-346 - 339-346.
- Frankel,G,S; Fajardo,S; Lynch,B,M, 2015, "Introductory lecture on corrosion chemistry: a focus on anodic hydrogen evolution on Al and Mg." FARADAY DISCUSSIONS 180, 11-33 - 11-33.
- Bastian Maier and G.S. Frankel, 2011, "Pitting Corrosion of Bare Stainless Steel 304 under Chloride Solution Droplets." J. Electrochem. Soc. 157, C302-C312 - C302-C312.
- Kappes,M; Frankel,G,S; Sridhar,N, 2010, "Study of Adhesion and Adhesion Degradation of a Pressure Sensitive Tape on Carbon Steel." Prog. Org. Coat. 69, 57-62 - 57-62.
- S. Taira and G.S. Frankel, 2010, "Localized Corrosion of Ni Based Alloys Under Thin Electrolyte Layers." Corrosion & Materials (Australia) 35, no. 1, 39-47 - 39-47.
- G.S. Frankel and M. Stratmann, 2009, "Future Perspectives of Corrosion Science." Corros. Eng. Sci. Tech. no. 44, 328-331 - 328-331.
- Xia,L; Akiyama,E; Frankel,G; McCreery,R, 2000, "Storage and release of soluble hexavalent chromium from chromate conversion coatings - Equilibrium aspects of Cr-VI concentration." JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY 147, no. 7, 2556-2562 - 2556-2562.
- Brusic,V; Russak,M; Schad,R; Frankel,G; SELIUS,A; DIMILIA,D; Edmonson,D, 1989, "CORROSION OF THIN-FILM MAGNETIC DISK - GALVANIC EFFECTS OF THE CARBON OVERCOAT." JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY 136, no. 1, 42-46 - 42-46.