You are here
- Home >
- Vicky Doan-Nguyen
- Assistant Professor, Materials Science Engineering
Columbus, OH 43212
Columbus, OH 43210
Dr. Vicky Doan-Nguyen joined the Department of Materials Science and Engineering in 2017 as an assistant professor specializing in energy storage and conversion. She develops in-situ and in-operando capabilities to study the dynamics of energy storage materials in the transmission electron microscope.
“Global solutions for electrical energy storage and energy conversion issues rely on nanomaterials designed to be durable electrodes and catalysts,” Doan-Nguyen said. Issues of electrode stability, chemical reversibility, and catalyst positioning remain a challenge. Design solutions stem from studying dynamic surface and interfacial chemistry and structure in these materials using in-situ local structural probes.
“My group’s research combines smart design, synthesis, novel local structure probes, and functional testing of nanostructured materials to understand how structural changes at the atomic scale propagate to functional performance,” Doan-Nguyen explained.
Functional properties of these materials are often not well understood from a structural perspective. Harnessing a suite of emerging structural characterization techniques allow Doan-Nguyen and her group to visualize and track previously inaccessible dynamics that govern surface-mediated reduction-oxidation chemistry in both electrochemical energy storage and heterogeneous catalysis.
“Combining advanced techniques such as element–specific in-situ electron microscopy, synchrotron-based X-ray scattering and X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAFS), and solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance (ssNMR) will enable us to design next generation materials for electrochemical energy storage and heterogeneous catalysis,” she said. In-situ electron microscopy allows us have greater insight into the structural evolution of interfaces in batteries. This is particularly useful for designing next generation all-solid cells, which will result in safer batteries.
Much of Doan-Nguyen’s research takes place at CEMAS.
Doan-Nguyen was a University of California President’s Postdoctoral Fellow and an Ellings Prize Fellow in the Ram Seshadri Group at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She was also in the Bruce S. Dunn Group at the University of California, Los Angeles.
She earned her B.S. in chemistry and women’s and gender studies from Yale University, followed by a M.S. and Ph.D. in materials science and engineering at the University of Pennsylvania. She is a member of the American Chemical Society, the American Physical Society, the Materials Research Society, the American Crystallographic Association, and the Electrochemical Society.
2019 American Physical Society Stanford Ovshinsky Sustainable Energy Fellowship.
- Butala, M.M.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Lehner, A.J.; Göbel, C. et al., 2018, "Operando Studies Reveal Structural Evolution with Electrochemical Cycling in Li-CoS2." Journal of Physical Chemistry C
- Chao, D.; Lai, C.H.M.; Liang, P.; Wei, Q. et al., 2018, "Sodium Vanadium Fluorophosphates (NVOPF) Array Cathode Designed for High-Rate Full Sodium Ion Storage Device." Advanced Energy Materials 8, no. 16,
- Dally, R.; Clement, R.J.; Chisnell, R.; Taylor, S. et al., 2017, "Floating zone growth of alpha-Na0.90MnO2 single crystals." JOURNAL OF CRYSTAL GROWTH 459, 203-208 - 203-208.
- Ko, J.S.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Kim, H.S.; Muller, G.A. et al., 2017, "Na2Ti3O7nanoplatelets and nanosheets derived from a modified exfoliation process for use as a high-capacity sodium-ion negative electrode." ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 9, no. 2, 1416-1425 - 1416-1425.
- Butala, M.M.; Mayo, M.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Lumley, M.A. et al., 2017, "Local Structure Evolution and Modes of Charge Storage in Secondary Li-FeS2Cells." Chemistry of Materials 29, no. 7, 3070-3082 - 3070-3082.
- Madhu, S.; Evans, H.A.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Labram, J.G. et al., 2016, "Inside Back Cover: Infinite Polyiodide Chains in the Pyrroloperylene–Iodine Complex: Insights into the Starch–Iodine and Perylene–Iodine Complexes (Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 28/2016)." Angewandte Chemie - International Edition 55, no. 28, 8135 - 8135.
- Madhu, S.; Evans, H.A.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Labram, J.G. et al., 2016, "Infinite Polyiodide Chains in the Pyrroloperylene–Iodine Complex: Insights into the Starch–Iodine and Perylene–Iodine Complexes." Angewandte Chemie - International Edition 55, no. 28, 8032-8035 - 8032-8035.
- Cargnello, M.; Montini, T.; Smolin, S.Y.; Priebe, J.B. et al., 2016, "Engineering titania nanostructure to tune and improve its photocatalytic activity." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 113, no. 15, 3966-3971 - 3966-3971.
- Cargnello, M.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Murray, C.B., 2016, "Engineering uniform nanocrystals: Mechanism of formation and self-assembly into bimetallic nanocrystal superlattices." AIChE Journal 62, no. 2, 392-398 - 392-398.
- Li, D.; Yun, H.; Diroll, B.T.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T. et al., 2016, "Synthesis and Size-Selective Precipitation of Monodisperse Nonstoichiometric MxFe3-xO4(M = Mn, Co) Nanocrystals and Their DC and AC Magnetic Properties." Chemistry of Materials 28, no. 2, 480-489 - 480-489.
- Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Zhang, S.; Trigg, E.B.; Agarwal, R. et al., 2015, "Synthesis and X-ray Characterization of Cobalt Phosphide (Co<inf>2</inf>P) Nanorods for the Oxygen Reduction Reaction." ACS Nano 9, no. 8, 8108-8115 - 8108-8115.
- Cargnello, M.; Chen, C.; Diroll, B.T.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T. et al., 2015, "Efficient removal of organic ligands from supported nanocrystals by fast thermal annealing enables catalytic studies on well-defined active phases." Journal of the American Chemical Society 137, no. 21, 6906-6911 - 6906-6911.
- Gordon, T.R.; Diroll, B.T.; Paik, T.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T. et al., 2015, "Characterization of shape and monodispersity of anisotropic Nanocrystals through atomistic x-ray scattering simulation." Chemistry of Materials 27, no. 7, 2502-2506 - 2502-2506.
- Cargnello, M.; Johnston-Peck, A.C.; Diroll, B.T.; Wong, E. et al., 2015, "Substitutional doping in nanocrystal superlattices." Nature 524, no. 7566, 450-453 - 450-453.
- Diroll, B.T.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Cargnello, M.; Gaulding, E.A. et al., 2014, "X-ray mapping of nanoparticle superlattice thin films." ACS Nano 8, no. 12, 12843-12850 - 12843-12850.
- Lynch, J.; Kotiuga, M.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Queen, W.L. et al., 2014, "Ligand coupling symmetry correlates with thermopower enhancement in small-molecule/nanocrystal hybrid materials." ACS Nano 8, no. 10, 10528-10536 - 10528-10536.
- Cargnello, M.; Doan-Nguyen, V.V.T.; Gordon, T.R.; Diaz, R.E. et al., 2013, "Control of metal nanocrystal size reveals metal-support interface role for ceria catalysts." Science 341, no. 6147, 771-773 - 771-773.
- Araghchini, M.; Chen, J.; Doan-Nguyen, V.; Harburg, D.V. et al., 2013, "A technology overview of the powerchip development program." IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 28, no. 9, 4182-4201 - 4182-4201.
- Liu, Y.W.; Ko, D.K.; Oh, S.J.; Gordon, T.R. et al., 2011, "Near-infrared absorption of monodisperse silver telluride (Ag2Te) nanocrystals and photoconductive response of their self-assembled superlattices." Chemistry of Materials 23, no. 21, 4657-4659 - 4657-4659.
Papers in Proceedings
- Cargnello, M.; Doan-Nguyen, V.; Gordon, T.R.; Bakhmutsky, K. et al. "Catalytic role of the metal-support interface in d(8)-ceria systems prepared using artificial atoms." in 244th National Fall Meeting of the American-Chemical-Society (ACS). (8 2012).