- Fontana Professor, Materials Science Engineering
116 W Nineteenth Ave
Room 141 Fontana Labs
Columbus, OH 43210
Glenn Daehn’s research, education and service efforts are all broadly related to the interwoven themes of Midwestern manufacturing revival, which in turn depends on technology development, integration of the University mission with regional industry and the development of a world-class workforce that is both smart and creative as well as able to make things. Prof. Daehn’s specific projects, related to this broad agenda, are represented below:
Recently, most of Glenn’s research is focused on impulse-based manufacturing. This technology allows new ways of shaping, cutting, joining and processing materials. A detailed account, including movies and publications placed in context can be found at the Impulse Manufacturing Lab Website. Probably the most up to date publication list can be found on Google Scholar, and for more than you want to know, Glenn’s resume is here.
Teaching and Professional Development
Glenn is passionate about connecting kids in the K-12 pipeline to careers in the STEM fields (at all levels, not just professional engineers). Since 2007 he has been very involved in the ASM Materials Camp for Teachers program and since 2010 has been a trustee on the ASM Education Foundation Board. Since 2012 he has been involved in the professional development of practicing high school science teachers through the Math Science Partnership Program. Some of the concepts that are being delivered to teachers can be found at this teacher’s professional development site.
Glenn has been involved in a range of activities that encourage deep interaction between academia and industry. He was the founder and is the current Director of the Ohio Manufacturing Institute. He is part of OSU’s leadership team for the Lightweight Innovations for Tomorrow Institute, founded by EWI, University of Michigan and Ohio State. He leads the Agile Manufacturing and Low Cost Tooling pillar. He also plays central roles in Ohio State’s manufacturing initiatives including the Center for Design for Manufacturing Excellence and the Materials and Manufacturing for Sustainability Discovery Theme Initiative.
Innovators Award of Ohio State College of Engineering.
ASM Jacquet-Lucas Award for Excellence in Metallography.
Lumley Research Award of Ohio State University College of Engineering.
Lumley Research Award of Ohio State University College of Engineering.
Winner of conference best paper award, Ceramic Entineering and Science.
National Young Investigator.
Lumley Research Award of Ohio State University College of Engineering.
Army Research Office Young Investigator Award.
Robert Lansing Hardy Gold Medal of TMS.
ASM Marcus A. Grossmann Young Author Award.
- G. S. Daehn. 2010. "Energy Field Methods and Electromagnetic Metal Forming." In Intelligent Energy Field Methods and Interdisciplinary Process Innovations, edited by Wenwu Zhang,
- G.S. Daehn. 2005. "High Velocity Metal Forming." In ASM Handbook, Volume 14B, Metalworking: Sheet Forming, 405-418 - 405-418.
- H. Brehm and G.S. Daehn. 2002. "A Model for Slip Creep Based on Sub-Structural Coarsening." In Creep Deformation Fundamentals and Applications, edited by R.S. Mishra, J.C. Earthman and S.V. Raj, 421-429 - 421-429.
- A. Turner, P. Zhang, V.J. Vohnout and G.S. Daehn. 2002. "Spot Impact Welding of Sheet Aluminum." In unstated, edited by P.J. Gregson and S. Harris, 1573-1578 - 1573-1578.
- G. S. Daehn and O. D. Sherby. 1997. "Superplasticity and Interdiffusion in Laminated Composites based on Ultrahigh Carbon Steel." In Thermomechanical Processing and Mechanical Properties of Hypereutectoid Steels and Cast Irons, edited by D. Lesuer and O. D. Sherby,
- S. Suri, T. Neraj, G. S. Daehn, D. H. Hou, J. M. Scott, R. W. Hayes and M. J. Mills. 1997. "Mechanisms of Creep in Titanium Alloys at Lower Temperatures." In Creep and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, edited by J. C. Earthman and F. A. Mohamed, 119-29 - 119-29.
- Daehn, G.S.. 1996. "Modeling of Enhanced Composite Creep and Plastic Flow in Temperature Cycling." In (invited chapter) Numerical Analysis and Modeling of Composite Materials, edited by J. W. Bull, 327-55 - 327-55.
- 1996. "Thermal cycling creep of metal matrix composites: Modeling with continuum and dislocation-based approaches."
- C-Y Huang and G. S. Daehn. 1995. "Improved Densification and Uniformity of Composite Powder Compacts Due to Pressure Cycling." In Net Shape Processing of Powder Materials, edited by S. Krishnaswami, R. M. McMeeking and J. R. L. Trasssorras, 69-75 - 69-75.
- Daehn, G.S.. 1995. "Hyperplasticity - A Competitor to Superplastic Sheet Forming?." In Superplasticity and Superplastic Forming, edited by A. K. Ghosh and T. R. Bieler, 11-16 - 11-16.
- Y. C. Chen and G. S. Daehn. 1994. "Isothermal and Thermal Cycling Creep of an Al-40 Si Particle Reinforced Composite (CMSH A-40)." In Low Thermal Expansion Alloys and Composites, edited by J. J. Stephens and D. R. Frear, 185-193 - 185-193.
- 1994. "MICROSTRUCTURAL ANALYSIS OF PLASTICALLY DEFORMED CO-CONTINUOUS CERAMIC COMPOSITE (C4) MATERIALS."
- J. Seeger, M. C. Breslin, B. Commentz, A. L. Marasco, J. Ringnalda, G. S. Daehn and H. L. Fraser. 1994. "Effects of Transformation and Chemistry on the Microstructure and Properties of Co Continuous Ceramic Composite Materials." In Composite Materials: Commonalty of Phenomenon, Proceedings of TMS Annual Meeting, edited by K. K. Chawla, P. K. Liaw and S. G. Fishman,
- 2016, "Low-Energy Impact Spot Welding of High-Strength Aluminum Alloys." WELDING JOURNAL 95, no. 2,
- 2015, "Solid state impact welding of BMG and copper by vaporizing foil actuator welding." Materials Science and Engineering A 634,
- 2015, "Openable electromagnetic actuator as a non-contact, agile tool for crimping operations." Manufacturing Letters 5,
- Vivek,A; Liu,B,C; Hansen,S,R; Daehn,G,S, 2014, "Accessing collision welding process window for titanium/copper welds with vaporizing foil actuators and grooved targets." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 214, no. 8, 1583-1589 - 1583-1589.
- Vivek,Anuparn; DeFouw,John,D; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2014, "Dynamic compaction of titanium powder by vaporizing foil actuator assisted shearing." POWDER TECHNOLOGY 254, 181-186 - 181-186.
- Vivek,A; Brune,R,C; Hansen,S,R; Daehn,G,S, 2014, "Vaporizing foil actuator used for impulse forming and embossing of titanium and aluminum alloys." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 214, no. 4, 865-875 - 865-875.
- 2014, "High strain rate metalworking with vaporizing foil actuator: control of flyer velocity by varying input energy and foil thickness.." Rev Sci Instrum 85, no. 7,
- 2014, "In situ velocity measurements of very high power ultrasonic additive manufacturing using a photonic Doppler velocimeter." SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF WELDING AND JOINING 19, no. 2,
- Vivek,A; Hansen,S,R; Liu,B,C; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2013, "Vaporizing foil actuator: A tool for collision welding." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 213, no. 12, 2304-2311 - 2304-2311.
- 2013, "Electrically driven plasma via vaporization of metallic conductors: A tool for impulse metal working." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 213, no. 8,
- Jimbert,P; Eguia,I; Daehn,G,S; Iriondo,E; Gutierrez,M,A; Hurtado,I, 2013, "Study and Simulation of Critical Factors Affecting Final Quality in Electromagnetically Hemmed Automotive Aluminum." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS ENGINEERING AND PERFORMANCE 22, no. 6, 1601-1610 - 1601-1610.
- Brandes,M,C; Kovarik,L; Miller,M,K; Daehn,G,S; Mills,M,J, 2012, "Creep behavior and deformation mechanisms in a nanocluster strengthened ferritic steel." ACTA MATERIALIA 60, no. 4, 1827-1839 - 1827-1839.
- Shang,Jianhui; Daehn,Glenn, 2011, "Electromagnetically assisted sheet metal stamping." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 211, no. 5, 868-874 - 868-874.
- Vivek,A; Kim,K-H; Daehn,G,S, 2011, "Simulation and instrumentation of electromagnetic compression of steel tubes." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 211, no. 5, 840-850 - 840-850.
- 2011, "Predictive mechanism for anisotropy development in the Earth's inner core." EARTH AND PLANETARY SCIENCE LETTERS 312, no. 3-4,
- 2011, "Application of high velocity impact welding at varied different length scales." Journal of Materials Processing Technology 211, no. 5,
- Woodward,Steven; Weddeling,Christian; Daehn,Glenn; Psyk,Verena; Carson,Bill; Tekkaya,A,Erman, 2011, "Production of low-volume aviation components using disposable electromagnetic actuators." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 211, no. 5, 886-895 - 886-895.
- Iriondo,E; Gutierrez,M,A; Gonzalez,B; Alcaraz,J,L; Daehn,G,S, 2011, "Electromagnetic impulse calibration of high strength sheet metal structures." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 211, no. 5, 909-915 - 909-915.
- 2011, "Collision welding of sheet metals: A practical and 'green' technology." Welding Journal 90, no. 5,
- 2010, "Study of Pd-Ag dental alloys: examination of effect of casting porosity on fatigue behavior and microstructural analysis." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE-MATERIALS IN MEDICINE 21, no. 10,
- Unocic,K,A; Mills,M,J; Daehn,G,S, 2010, "Effect of gallium focused ion beam milling on preparation of aluminium thin foils." JOURNAL OF MICROSCOPY 240, no. 3, 227-238 - 227-238.
- Unocic,Kinga,A; Hayes,Robert,W; Mills,Michael,J; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2010, "Microstructural Features Leading to Enhanced Resistance to Grain Boundary Creep Cracking in ALLVAC 718Plus." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 41A, no. 2, 409-420 - 409-420.
- Thomas,J,D; Triantafyllidis,N; Vivek,A; Daehn,G,S; Bradley,J,R, 2010, "Comparison of fully coupled modeling and experiments for electromagnetic forming processes in finitely strained solids." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF FRACTURE 163, no. 1-2, 67-83 - 67-83.
- Johnson,Jason,R; Taber,Geoff; Vivek,Anupam; Zhang,Yuan; Golowin,Scott; Banik,Kristin; Fenton,Gregg,K; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2009, "Coupling Experiment and Simulation in Electromagnetic Forming Using Photon Doppler Velocimetry." STEEL RESEARCH INTERNATIONAL 80, no. 5, 359-365 - 359-365.
- Jason R. Johnson, Geoff Taber, Anupam Vivek, Yuan Zhang, Scott Golowin, Kristin Banik, Gregg K. Fenton, and Glenn S. Daehn, 2009, "Coupling Experiment and Simulation in Electromagnetic Forming Using Photon Doppler Velocimetry." Steel Research International 80, 359-365 - 359-365.
- Fenton, G; Caipen, T; Daehn, G; Vogler, T; Grady, D, 2009, "SHOCK-LESS HIGH RATE COMPACTION OF POROUS BRITTLE MATERIALS." SHOCK COMPRESSION OF CONDENSED MATTER - 2009, PTS 1 AND 2 1195, 1337-1340 - 1337-1340.
- Zhang,Y; Babu,S,S; Zhang,P; KENIK,E,A; Daehn,G,S, 2008, "Microstructure characterisation of magnetic pulse welded AA6061-T6 by electron backscattered diffraction." SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF WELDING AND JOINING 13, no. 5, 467-471 - 467-471.
- Daehn,Glenn,S; Unocic,Kinga,A, 2008, "TEM sample preparation method for grain boundary phase identification in Al-Mg alloys." ADVANCED MATERIALS & PROCESSES 166, no. 2, 42-43 - 42-43.
- 2007, "An initial study of diffusion bonds between superplastic Ti-6Al-4V for implant dentistry applications." JOURNAL OF PROSTHETIC DENTISTRY 97, no. 6,
- Kamal,Manish; Shang,J; Cheng,V; Hatkevich,S; Daehn,G,S, 2007, "Agile manufacturing of a micro-embossed case by a two-step electromagnetic forming process." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 190, no. 1-3, 41-50 - 41-50.
- Thomas,J,D; Seth,M; Daehn,G,S; Bradley,J,R; Triantafyllldis,N, 2007, "Forming limits for electromagnetically expanded aluminum alloy tubes: Theory and experiment." ACTA MATERIALIA 55, no. 8, 2863-2873 - 2863-2873.
- 2007, "Fatigue limits and SEM/TEM observations of fracture characteristics for three Pd-Ag dental casting alloys." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE-MATERIALS IN MEDICINE 18, no. 1,
- Kamal,Manish; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2007, "A uniform pressure electromagnetic actuator for forming flat sheets." JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME 129, no. 2, 369-379 - 369-379.
- S. B. Alapati, W. A. Brantley, J. M. Nussten, G. S. Daehn, T. A. Svec, J. M. Powers, W. M. Johnston, W. Gao, 2006, "Vickers hardness investigation of work-hardening in used NiTi rotary instruments." Journal of Endodontics 32, 1191-1193 - 1191-1193.
- 2006, "Vickers hardness investigation of work-hardening in used NiTi rotary instruments." JOURNAL OF ENDODONTICS 32, no. 12,
- Daehn,Glenn,S; Breslin,Michael,C, 2006, "Co-continuous composite materials for friction and braking applications." JOM 58, no. 11, 87-91 - 87-91.
- Gan,Wei; Zhang,Peihui; Wagoner,Robert,H; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2006, "Effect of load redistribution in transient plastic flow." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 37A, no. 7, 2097-2106 - 2097-2106.
- Gan,W; Zhang,P,H; Wagoner,R,H; Daehn,G,S, 2005, "Transient plastic flow at nominally fixed structure due to load redistribution." ZEITSCHRIFT FUR METALLKUNDE 96, no. 6, 572-577 - 572-577.
- Seth,M; Vohnout,V,J; Daehn,G,S, 2005, "Formability of steel sheet in high velocity impact." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 168, no. 3, 390-400 - 390-400.
- 2005, "SEM observations of nickel-titanium rotary endodontic instruments that fractured during clinical use." JOURNAL OF ENDODONTICS 31, no. 1,
- 2005, "Bending fatigue study of nickel-titanium gates glidden drills." JOURNAL OF ENDODONTICS 31, no. 7,
- M. Kamal and G.S. Daehn, 2005, "A Uniform Pressure Electromagnetic Actuator for Forming Flat Sheets." Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 129, 369-380 - 369-380.
- Seth, M; Daehn, GS, 2005, "Effect of aspect ratio on high velocity formability of aluminum alloy." TRENDS IN MATERIALS AND MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGIES FOR TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRIES AND POWDER METALLURGY RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT IN THE TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY 59-64 - 59-64.
- 2004, "Proposed role of embedded dentin chips for the clinical failure of nickel-titanium rotary instruments." JOURNAL OF ENDODONTICS 30, no. 5,
- Miles,M,P; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2003, "Prediction of limit strains in superplastic materials." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 34A, no. 11, 2559-2564 - 2559-2564.
- Xin,X,J; Jayaraman,P; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2003, "Investigation of yield surface of monolithic and composite powders by explicit finite element simulation." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MECHANICAL SCIENCES 45, no. 4, 707-723 - 707-723.
- Daehn, GS; Shang, JH; Vohnout, VJ, 2003, "Electromagnetically assisted sheet forming: Enabling difficult shapes and materials by controlled energy distribution." ENERGY EFFICIENT MANUFACTURING PROCESSES 117-128 - 117-128.
- Jiang,G; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2003, "Observations on densification of Al-Al2O3 composite powder compacts by pressure cycling." POWDER METALLURGY 46, no. 1, 78-82 - 78-82.
- Turner, A; Zhang, PH; Vohnout, V; Daehn, G, 2002, "Spot impact welding of sheet aluminum." ALUMINUM ALLOYS 2002: THEIR PHYSICAL AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES PTS 1-3 396-4, 1573-1578 - 1573-1578.
- Mills, MJ; Neeraj, T; Savage, MF; Tatalovich, J; Daehn, GS, 2002, "Deformation mechanisms during creep of titanium alloys at lower temperatures." CREEP DEFORMATION: FUNDAMENTALS AND APPLICATIONS 389-398 - 389-398.
- 2002, "Fatigue studies of high-palladium dental casting alloys: Part 1. Fatigue limits and fracture characteristics." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE-MATERIALS IN MEDICINE 13, no. 4,
- 2002, "Explicit finite element method simulation of consolidation of monolithic and composite powders." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 33, no. 8,
- Fu,Y; Jiang,G; Lannutti,J,J; Wagoner,R,H; Daehn,G,S, 2002, "Effect of cyclic pressure consolidation on the uniformity of metal matrix composites." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 33, no. 1, 183-191 - 183-191.
- Jiang,G; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2001, "Void filling and cluster breaking of metal-ceramic composites under pressure cycling." SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 44, no. 2, 287-292 - 287-292.
- Daehn, GS, 2001, "Primary creep transients due to non-uniform obstacle sizes." MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING 319, 765-769 - 765-769.
- Jiang,G; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2001, "Inclusion particle size effects on the cyclic compaction of powder composites." SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 44, no. 7, 1117-1123 - 1117-1123.
- Jiang,G; Daehn,G,S; Lannutti,J,J; Fu,Y; Wagoner,R,H, 2001, "Effects of lubrication and aspect ratio on the consolidation of metal matrix composites under cyclic pressure." ACTA MATERIALIA 49, no. 8, 1471-1477 - 1471-1477.
- Neeraj,T; Hou,D,H; Daehn,G,S; Mills,M,J, 2000, "Phenonomenological and microstructural analysis of room temperature creep in titanium alloys." ACTA MATERIALIA 48, no. 6, 1225-1238 - 1225-1238.
- 2000, "Experimental and numerical investigation of idealized consolidation - Part 1: Static compaction." ACTA MATERIALIA 48, no. 17,
- Jiang,G; Wu,W; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2000, "Experimental and numerical investigation of idealized consolidation - Part II: Cyclic compaction." ACTA MATERIALIA 48, no. 17, 4331-4335 - 4331-4335.
- Daehn, GS; Vohnout, VJ; Datta, S, 2000, "Hyperplastic forming: Process potential and factors affecting formability." SUPERPLASTICITY-CURRENT STATUS AND FUTURE POTENTIAL 601, 247-252 - 247-252.
- W. Wu, G. Jiang, R. H. Wagoner and G. S. Daehn, 2000, "Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Idealized Solid State Consolidation." Acta Mater 48, no. 17, 4323-4330 - 4323-4330.
- Carroll,M,C; Gouma,P,I; Mills,M,J; Daehn,G,S; Dunbar,B,R, 2000, "Effects of Zn additions on the grain boundary precipitation and corrosion of Al-5083." SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 42, no. 4, 335-340 - 335-340.
- X. J. Xin, R. H. Wagoner and G. S. Daehn, 1999, "A Numerical Method to Solve for General Dislocation Configurations: The Finite Segment Method." Materials Transactions, 30A 2073-2087 - 2073-2087.
- Daehn, GS; Vohnout, VJ; DuBois, L, 1999, "Improved formability with electromagnetic forming: Fundamentals and a practical example." SHEET METAL FORMING TECHNOLOGY 105-115 - 105-115.
- Xin,X,J; Wagoner,R,H; Daehn,G,S, 1999, "A general numerical method to solve for dislocation configurations." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 30, no. 8, 2073-2087 - 2073-2087.
- G. K Fenton and G. S. Daehn, 1998, "Modeling of Electromagnetically Formed Sheet Metal." J. Mater. Proc. Tech. 75, no. 1-3, 6-16 - 6-16.
- X. J. Xin, R. H. Wagoner and G. S. Daehn, 1998, "Finite Segment Method for Dislocation Mechanics." Scripta Mater 39, 397-407 - 397-407.
- L. Ceschini, G.S. Daehn, G.L. Garagnani, C. Martini, 1998, "Friction and wear behaviour of Co Continuous Al2O3/Al composites under dry sliding conditions." Wear 216, 229-38 - 229-38.
- Xin,X,J; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 1998, "Modeling the generation equilibrium, and emission of dislocations at elastically misfitted particles." ACTA MATERIALIA 46, no. 17, 6131-6144 - 6131-6144.
- A. A. Tamnane, V. J. Vohnout, M. Padmanabhan, G. Fenton, V. S. Balanethiram, M. Altynova and G. S. Daehn, 1997, "Opportunities in the High Velocity Forming of Sheet Metal." Metal Forming 42-49 - 42-49.
- A.A. Tamhane, M. Padmanabhan, G. Fenton, M. Altynova and G. S. Daehn, 1997, "Opportunities in High Velocitiy Forming of Sheet Metal." Metal Forming 42-49 - 42-49.
- Xin,X,J; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 1997, "Equilibrium configuration of coaxial prismatic dislocation loops and related size-dependent plasticity." ACTA MATERIALIA 45, no. 5, 1821-1836 - 1821-1836.
- C-Y Huang and G. S. Daehn, 1997, "Effect of Cyclic Pressure on the Low Temperature Consolidation of Several Composite Powder Systems." Acta Mater 45, 4283-96 - 4283-96.
- S. Suri, T. Neeraj, G. S. Daehn, D-H Hou, J. M. Scott, R. W. Hayes and M. J. Mills, 1997, "Mechanisms of Primary Creep in ï�¡ï€¯ï�¢ Titanium Alloys at Lower Temperatures." Materials Science and Engineering A 996-999 - 996-999.
- 1996, "Elastic and plastic behavior of a co-continuous alumina aluminum composite." ACTA MATERIALIA 44, no. 1,
- 1996, "Processing, microstructure and properties of an Al/Al2O3 co-continuous ceramic composite." PROCESSING AND FABRICATION OF ADVANCED MATERIALS IV
- X. Hu and G. S. Daehn, 1996, "Effect of Velocity on Flow Localization in Tension." Acta Mater 44, 1021-33 - 1021-33.
- Y.H. Hsiao, H. Zhang and G. S. Daehn, 1996, "Effect of Multiaxial Stress on Creep Damage of 316 Stainless Steel Weldments." Metallurgical Transactions 27, 891-900 - 891-900.
- C-Y Huang and G. S. Daehn, 1996, "Densification of Composite Powder Compacts in Pressure Cycling." Acta Mater 44, 1035-45 - 1035-45.
- M. M Altynova, X. Hu and G. S. Daehn, 1996, "Increased Ductility in High Velocity Electromagnetic Ring Expansion." Metallurgical and Materials Transactions 27A, 1837-44 - 1837-44.
- A. A. Tamhane, M. M. Altynova and G. S. Daehn, 1996, "Effect of Sample Size on Ductility in Electromagnetic Ring Expansion." Scripta Metallurgica 34, 1345-50 - 1345-50.
- K. F. ElFishawy and G. S. Daehn, 1995, "An Approach to the Design of Composites for Service at Elevated and Non-Steady Temperatures." Metallurgical Transactions A 26A, 3091-105 - 3091-105.
- 1995, "PROCESSING, MICROSTRUCTURE, AND PROPERTIES OF CO-CONTINUOUS ALUMINA-ALUMINUM COMPOSITES." MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING 195, no. 1-2,
- G. S. Daehn, M. Altynova, V. S. Balanethiram, G. Fenton, M. Padmanabhan, A. Tamhane and E. Winnard, 1995, "High Velocity Metal Forming--An Old Technology Addresses New Problems." JOM 88, 42-45 - 42-45.
- Huang, CY; Daehn, GS, 1995, "Superplastic forming of metal matrix composites by thermal and pressure cycling processes." SUPERPLASTICITY AND SUPERPLASTIC FORMING, 1995 135-142 - 135-142.
- 1994, "ANALYSIS OF THERMALLY-INDUCED STRESS AND STRAIN IN CONTINUOUS FIBER-REINFORCED COMPOSITES." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 25, no. 2,
- V. S. Balanethiram, X. Hu, M. Altynova and G. S. Daehn, 1994, "Hyperplasticity: Enhanced Formability at High Rates." Journal of Materials Processing Technology 45, 595-600 - 595-600.
- V. S. Balanethiram and G. S. Daehn, 1994, "Hyperplasticity-Increased Forming Limits at High Workpiece Velocities." Scripta Metallurgica 31, 515-520 - 515-520.
- X. Hu, R. H. Wagoner, G. S. Daehn and S. Ghosh, 1994, "The Effect of Inertia on Tensile Ductility." Metallurgical Transactions 25A, 2723-35 - 2723-35.
- L. Xu and G. S. Daehn, 1994, "Allegatoring and Damage in the Cold Rolling of Spheroidized Steels." Metallurgical Transactions 25A, 589-98 - 589-98.
- X. Hu, R. H. Wagoner, G. S. Daehn and S. Ghosh, 1994, "Comparison of Explicit and Implicit Finite Element Methods in the Quasistatic Simulation of Uniaxial Tension." Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering 10, 993-1003 - 993-1003.
- 1993, "YIELD OF CONTINUOUS FIBER COMPOSITES UNDER AXISYMMETRICAL LOADING." SCRIPTA METALLURGICA ET MATERIALIA 29, no. 11,
- G. S. Daehn, K. Hebbar, Y-S Suh and H. Zhang, 1993, "Non-Isothermal Deformation Behavior of a High Performance Aluminum Matrix Composite." Composites Engineering 3, 699-713 - 699-713.
- A. L. Marasco, J. Ringnalda, M. C. Breslin, G. S. Daehn and H. L. Fraser, 1993, "Transformation Kinetics and Properties of Co-Continuous Ceramic Composites." TMS
- V. S. Balanethiram and G. S. Daehn, 1992, "Enhanced Formability of Interstitial Free Iron at High Strain Rates." Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia 27, 1783-89 - 1783-89.
- Daehn, G.S., 1991, "Thermal Cycling Deformation of a Particle Reinforced Metal Matrix Composite: Comparison Between a Model and Experimental Observation." Scripta Met et Mat 25, 1543-48 - 1543-48.
- Y. C. Chen and G. S. Daehn, 1991, "The Deformation of an Aluminum-Silicon Eutectic Alloy Under Thermal Cycling Conditions." Metallurgical Transactions 22A, 1113 - 1113.
- 1991, "TEMPERATURE-CHANGE INDUCED PLASTICITY IN METAL MATRIX COMPOSITES - EFFECT OR REINFORCEMENT MORPHOLOGY." SCRIPTA METALLURGICA ET MATERIALIA 25, no. 10,
- H. Zhang, G. S. Daehn and R. H. Wagoner, 1991, "Simulation of the Plastic Response of Whisker Reinforced Metal-Matrix Composites Under Thermal Cycling Conditions." Scripta Metallurgica 25, 2279-84 - 2279-84.
- G. S. Daehn, H. Zhang, R. H. Wagoner, 1990, "The Temperature-Cycling Deformation of Particle Reinforce Metal Matrix Composites -- A Finite Study." Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia 24, 2151-2155 - 2151-2155.
- Y. C. Chen, G. S. Daehn and R. H. Wagoner, 1990, "The Potential for Forming Metal Matrix Composites Via Thermal Cycling." Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia 24, 2157-2162 - 2157-2162.
- G. S. Daehn and G. GonzÃ¡lez Doncel, 1989, "Defomation of Whisker-Reinforced Metal-Matrix Composites under Changing Temperature Conditions." Metallurgical Transactions 20A, 2289-355 - 2289-355.
- G. S. Daehn, 1989, "Plastic Deformation of Continuous-Fiber Reinforced Composites Subjected to Changing Temperature." Scripta Metallurgica 23, 247-252 - 247-252.
- G. S. Daehn and T. Oyama, 1988, "The Mechanism of Thermal Cycling Enhanced Deformation in Whisker-Reinforced Composites." Scripta Metallurgica 22, no. 7, 1097-1102 - 1097-1102.
- G. S. Daehn, D. W. Kum and O. D. Sherby, 1986, "Superplasticity of a Stainless Clad Ultrahigh Carbon Steel." Metallurgical Transactions 17A, 2295-98 - 2295-98.
Papers in Proceedings
- "Interfacial ultrafine-grained structures on aluminum alloy 6061 joint and copper alloy 110 joint fabricated by magnetic pulse welding." (9 2010).
- J. Shang, L. Wilkerson, S. Hatkevich, G. S. Daehn, S. Srinivasan, H. Wang and J. R. Bradley "Low-Cost Manufacturing of Fuel Cell Bipolar Plates by Electromagnetic Forming." in Emerging Materials Forming Technology, MS&T Proceedings. (1 2009).
- J. R. Johnson, G. K. Fenton, G. Taber, A. Vivek and G. S. Daehn "High Strain Rate Constitutive Relations and Ductility Parameters via Electromagnetic Launch and Velocimetry." in Proceedings International Deep Drawing Research Group, Golden CO. (1 2009).
- G. Fenton, G. S. Daehn, G. Taber, T. Vogler, and D. Grady "Dynamic Characterization of Granular Materials." in Proceedings of Society of Engineering Mechanics. (6 2009).
- Leire Vadillo, Iñaki Pérez, Iñaki Eguía, Mª Ángeles Gutiérrez, Beatriz González, Uwe Paar, Glenn S. Daehn and Rafel Iturbe "Springback Elimination in Structural Components by Means of Electromagetic Forming." in SAE Paper 940850, Proceedings of SAE World Congress and Exhibition. (1 2009).
- P. Jimbert, I. Eguia, M. A. Gutierrez, B. Gonzalez, G. S. Daehn, Y. Zhang, R. Andersson, H. Sundberg, S. O. Olsson, P. Brännström "Flanging and Hemming Auto Body Panels using Electromagetic Forming." in Proceedings of Third International Conference on High Speed Forming. (1 2008). 163-172 - 163-172.
- Y. Zhang, P. L’Eplattenier, G. Taber, A. Vivek, G. S. Daehn and S. Babu "Numerical Simulation and Experimental Study for Magnetic Pulse Welding Process on AA6061-T6 and Cu101 Sheet." in 10th International LS-DYNA Users Conference. (1 2008). 8.13-8 - 8.13-8.
- I. Henchi, P. L’Eplattenier, G. S. Daehn, Y. Zhang, A. Vivek and N. Stander "Material Constitutive Parameter Identification Using an Electromagnetic Ring Expansion Experiment Coupled with LS-DYNA and LS-OPT." in 10th International LS-DYNA Users Conference. (1 2008). 14.1-14.11 - 14.1-14.11.
- G.S. Daehn and K.A. Unocic "TEM Sample Preparation Method for Grain Boundary Phase Identification in Al-Mg alloys." in Adv Mat Proc. (1 2008). 42-43 - 42-43.
- Golowin,Scott; Kamal,Manish; Shang,Jianhui; Portier,Jake; Din,Ahmad; Daehn,Glenn,S; Bradley,John,R; Newman,Keith,E; Hatkevich,Steve "Application of a uniform pressure actuator for electromagnetic processing of sheet metal." JOURNAL: "JOURNAL OF MATERIALS ENGINEERING AND PERFORMANCE." in Materials Science and Technology Conference and Exhibition 2006. (8 2007). 455-460 - 455-460.
- del Rio,Eduardo; Nash,James,M; Williams,James,C; Breslin,Michael,C; Daehn,Glenn,S "Co-continuous composites for high-temperature applications." JOURNAL: "MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING." in Symposium on Processing and Mechanical Response of Engineering Materials held at the 2006 TMS Annual Meeting. (8 2007). 115-121 - 115-121.
- G.S. Daehn "Agile Sheet Metal Forming: Basic Concepts and the Role of Electromagnetic Metal Forming." in Proceedings from IDDRG 2007. (5 2007).
- P. Jimbert et. al. "Hemming of Aluminum Sheet Panels Using the Electromagnetic Forming Technology." in Proceedings from IDDRG 2007. (5 2007).
- E. Iriondo, B. Gonzalez, M. Gutierrez, V. Vonhout, G. Daehn, B. Hayes "Electromagnetic Springback Reshaping." in Proceedings from 2nd Annual ICHSF 2006. (1 2006). 153-160 - 153-160.
- Manish Kamal, Vincent Cheng, John Bradley, Steve Hatkevich, Glenn S. Daehn "Design, Construction, and Applications of the Uniform Pressure Electromagnetic Actuator." in Proceedings from 2nd Annual ICHSF 2006. (3 2006). 217-226 - 217-226.
- E. Iriondo, B. González, M. A. Gutiérrez, G. S. Daehn "New Approach for Springback Correction: Electromagnetic Impulses." in Proceedings from the International Conference New Developments in Sheet Metal Forming. (5 2006). 415-428 - 415-428.
- P. Jimbert, A. Arroyo, I. Eguia, J. I. Fernandez, E. Silveria, I Garuz and G. S. Daehn "Efficiency Improvement and Analysis of Microstructure Associated with Use of a Uniform Pressure Actuator." in Proceedings from 2nd Annual ICHSF 2006. (3 2006). 175-186 - 175-186.
- M. Kamal, V. Cheng, T.K. Sue, J. Shang and G.S. Daehn "Replication of Microfeatures by Electromagnetic Launch and Impact." in Proceeding from International Conference on Micromanufacturing. (9 2006). 197-203 - 197-203.
- Edurne Iriondo, Beátriz Gonzalez, Iñaki Eguia, Marian Gutiérrez, Glenn Daehn "Experimental Study of Spingback Elimination Using Electromagnetic Forming." in Proceedings from the 2005 DDRG: Conference. (6 2005).
- V.J. Vohnout, J Shang, G.S. Daehn "Improved Formability by Control of Strain Distribution in Sheet Stamping Using Electromagnetic Impulses." in Proceedings from ICHSF. (3 2004). 211-220 - 211-220.
- I. Eguia, P. Zhang, G.S. Daehn "Improved Crimp-joining of Aluminum Tubes onto Mandrels with Undulating Surfaces." in Proceedings from ICHSF. (3 2004).
- "Analysis of the electromagnetic impulse joining process with a field concentrator." in 8th International Conference on Numerical Methods in Industrial Forming Processes. (1 2004).
- G. S Daehn, H. Brehm and B-S Lim "A Scaling Analysis of Recovery Creep." in Modeling the Performance of Engineering Structural Materials III, Proceedings of TMS Fall Meeting. (1 2002). 371-382 - 371-382.
- A. Turner, P. Zhang, V.J. Vohnout and G.S. Daehn "Spot Impact Welding of Sheet Aluminum." in Materials Science Forum; Proceedings of the 8th International Conference ICAA8. (7 2002). 396-402 - 396-402.
- Li,D; Brantley,W,A; Mitchell,J,C; Daehn,G,S; Monaghan,P; Papazoglou,E "Fatigue studies of high-palladium dental casting alloys: Part 1. Fatigue limits and fracture characteristics." JOURNAL: "JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE-MATERIALS IN MEDICINE." in 30th Annual Meeting of the American-Association-of-Dental-Research. (4 2002). 361-367 - 361-367.
- N. Thirumalai, M.F. Savage, M. J. Mills and G. S. Daehn "Primary Creep in Polycrystalline Alpha-Titanium: Coupled Observations and a Stochastic Cellular Automaton Model." in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Creep and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures. (1 2001). 49-54 - 49-54.
- V. J. Vohnout, G. S. Daehn and R. Shivpuri "A Hybrid Quasi-Static-Dynamic Process for Increased Limiting Strains in the Forming of Large Sheet Aluminum Parts." in Advanced Technology of Plasticity, Proceedings of the 6th ICTP Conf.. (1 1999). 1359-64 - 1359-64.
- Glenn S. Daehn, G. B. Viswanathan, Michael J. Mills and V. K. Vasudevan "A Model of Creep Based on Interacting Elements and its Application to the Primary Creep of Fully-Lamellar -TiAl." in Creep and Creep Resistant Materials for the 21st Century. (1 1999). 178-191 - 178-191.
- M.C. Carroll, M. J. Mills G. S. Daehn, P. I. Gouma, M. F. Savage and B. R. Dunbar "Effects of Minor Sc and Zr Additions on Commercial Al-Mg-Mn Alloys." in TMS Proceedings: Aluminum Alloys for Automotive Applications. (1 1999). 239-247 - 239-247.
- L. Ceschini, M.C. Breslin, G.S. Dahen, G.L. Garagnani, G. Poli "Tribiological behaviour of Al-20%Si/Al2O3 high reinforcement content composites produced by a displacement reaction." in Proceedings of ECCM-8 (European Conference on Composite Materials), Napoli, 3-6 giugno. (1 1998). 285-293 - 285-293.
- L.Ceschini, G.S. Dahen, G.L.Garagnani, C.Martini "Microstructure and tribological properties of a co-continuous alumina/aluminum composite." in Proceedings of the "5th European Conference on Advanced Materials andApplications", Vol.3 - Surface Engineering and Functional Materials, Netherlands Society for Materials Science. (1 1997). 319-322 - 319-322.
- M. C. Breslin, J. Ringnalda, J. Seeger, A. L. Marasco, G. S. Daehn and H. L. Fraser "Alumina/Aluminum Co-Continuous Ceramic Composites Produced by Solid-Liquid Displacement Reactions: Processing Kinetics and Microstructures." in Ceramic Entineering and Science Proceedings. (1 1994). 104-112 - 104-112.
- T. C. Lowe, P. Follansbee, T. Rollett, and G. S Daehn eds., "Modeling the Deformation of Crystalline Solids, Physical Theory, Application and Experimental Comparisons." in New Orleans. (1 1991).
- G. S. Daehn "Effects of Environmental and Microstructrural Variables on the Plastic Deformation of Metal Matrix Composites Under Changing Temperature Concitions." in Proceedings -- ASTM Symposium on Thermal and Mechanical Behavior of Ceramic and Metal Matrix Composites. (1 1988). 70-86 - 70-86.
- John, R. Bradley, James G. Schroth and Glenn S. Daehn. "Electromagetic Formation of Fuel Cell Plates." Patent number: U.S. Patent 7,076.981
- G. S. Daehn. "“Electromagnetic Metal Forming” (Uniform Pressure Actuator." Patent number: U. S. Patent, 2,069,756
- G. S. Daehn, V. J. Vohnout and A. Tamhane. "Electromagnetic actuator, method of use and article made therefrom." Patent number: U. S. Patent 5,860,306
- G. S. Daehn, V. J. Vohnout, L. DuBois. "Hybrid matched tool-electromagnetic forming apparatus incorporating electromagnetic actuator." Patent number: U.S. Patent 6,047,582
- G. S. Daehn, V. J. Vohnout and L. DuBois. "Hybrid matched tool-electromagnetic forming apparatus." Patent number: U. S. Patent 6,050,120
- G. S. Daehn and V. J. Vohnout. "Hybrid methods of forming using electromagnetic forming." Patent number: U.S. Patent 6,050,121
- G. S. Daehn, V. J. Vohnout and E. A. Herman. "Hybrid matched tool forming methods." Patent number: U. S. Patent 6,085, 562
- G. S. Daehn and Vincent J. Vohnout. "Hybrid Matched Tool-Hydraulic Forming Methods." Patent number: U.S. Patent 6,227, 023
- G. S. Daehn. "High Velocity Forming of Local Features Using a Projectile." Patent number: U. S. Patent 7,000,300
- Glenn S. Daehn. "Electromagnetic Actuator for Multiple Operations." Patent number: PCT Applicaton: PCT/US08/61066
- Glenn D. Daehn and John C. Lippold.. "Low Temperature Spot Impact Welding Driven Without Contact." Patent number: PCT Application: PCT/US09/36499
- John R. Bradley and Glenn S. Daehn. "Driver Plate for Electromagnetic Forming of Sheet Metal." Patent number: US Patent Application 2009/0090162
- M. C. Carroll, M. J. Mills, R. G. Buchheit, G. S. Daehn, B. Morere, P. Kobe, and H. S. Goodrich. "5000 series alloys with improved corrosion properties and methods for their manufacture and use." Patent number: US Patent Application 10/628579