- Professor, Materials Science Engineering
- Chair, Materials Science Engineering
177 Watts Hall
2041 College Rd
Columbus, OH 43210-1179
Peter M. Anderson is Professor and Chair in Material Science and Engineering at The Ohio State University. He earned his Sc.B. degree in mechanical engineering from Brown University and his Sc.M. and Ph.D. in Applied Science and Engineering at Harvard University. He was a post doctoral researcher at University of Cambridge, England, before joining the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at OSU in 1988. Since then, he has taken sabbatical or short-term research positions at NIST, Brown University, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and Ruhr University, among others.
The Anderson research group studies how the mechanical properties of engineering materials depend on the structure and physical deformation processes at the crystalline and subcrystalline scales. The approach is to combine analytic, numerical, and experimental techniques, often through a multi-investigator, multi-disciplinary collaboration. Current research efforts are focused on: High-Strength Nanostructures, Fatigue-Resistant Shape Memory Alloys, High Temperature Shape Memory Alloys, Wear-Resistant Stainless Steel Alloys, and Polymer Scaffolds for Tissue Growth.
Chair, Materials Theory Subcommittee, Materials Research Society. Materials Research Society.
Faculty Innovator of the Year Award, Ohio Board of Regents. Ohio Board of Regents.
Visiting Faculty, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany. Ruhr University.
Boyer Award for Teaching Innovation.
Lumley Research Award.
Bernd T. Matthias Scholar. Los Alamos National Laboratory.
US Patent 5,913,670. US Patent Office.
Boyer Award for Teaching Innovation.
Young Investigator Award. Office of Naval Research.
- Paranjape H, Anderson PM, 2014, Texture and grain neighborhood effects on Ni?Ti shape memory alloy performance. Modeling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 22, no. 7, 075002 -
- Bowers,M,L; Chen,X; De Graef,M; Anderson,P,M; Mills,M,J, 2014, "Characterization and modeling of defects generated in pseudoelastically deformed NiTi microcrystals." SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 78-79, 69 - 72.
- Van Petegem,S; Li,L; Anderson,P,M; Van Swygenhoven,H, 2013, "Deformation mechanisms in nanocrystalline metals: Insights from in-situ diffraction and crystal plasticity modelling." THIN SOLID FILMS 530, 20 - 24.
- Li,Lin; Van Petegem,Steven; Van Swygenhoven,Helena; Anderson,Peter,M, 2012, "Slip-induced intergranular stress redistribution in nanocrystalline Ni." ACTA MATERIALIA 60, no. 20, 7001 - 7010.
- Carpenter,J,S; Misra,A; Uchic,M,D; Anderson,P,M, 2012, "Strain rate sensitivity and activation volume of Cu/Ni metallic multilayer thin films measured via micropillar compression." APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 101, no. 5, 051901 -
- Carpenter,John,S; Misra,Amit; Anderson,Peter,M, 2012, "Achieving maximum hardness in semi-coherent multilayer thin films with unequal layer thickness." ACTA MATERIALIA 60, no. 6-7, 2625 - 2636.
- Li,Lin; Lee,Myoung-Gyu; Anderson,Peter,M, 2012, "Probing the Relation Between Dislocation Substructure and Indentation Characteristics Using Quantized Crystal Plasticity." JOURNAL OF APPLIED MECHANICS-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME 79, no. 3, 031009 -
- Manchuraju,S; Kroeger,A; Somsen,C; Dlouhy,A; Eggeler,G; Sarosi,P,M; Anderson,P,M; Mills,M,J, 2012, "Pseudoelastic deformation and size effects during in situ transmission electron microscopy tensile testing of NiTi." ACTA MATERIALIA 60, no. 6-7, 2770 - 2777.
- Manchiraju,Sivom; Gaydosh,Darrell; Benafan,Othmane; Noebe,Ronald; Vaidyanathan,Raj; Anderson,Peter,M, 2011, "Thermal cycling and isothermal deformation response of polycrystalline NiTi: Simulations vs. experiment." ACTA MATERIALIA 59, no. 13, 5238 - 5249.
- Li,Lin; Lee,Myoung-Gyu; Anderson,Peter,M, 2011, "Critical Strengths for Slip Events in Nanocrystalline Metals: Predictions of Quantized Crystal Plasticity Simulations." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 42A, no. 13, 3875 - 3882.
- Manchiraju,S; Anderson,P,M, 2010, "Coupling between martensitic phase transformations and plasticity: A microstructure-based finite element model." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PLASTICITY 26, no. 10, 1508 - 1526.
- Anderson,P,M; Carpenter,J,S, 2010, "Estimates of interfacial properties in Cu/Ni multilayer thin films using hardness data." SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 62, no. 6, 325 - 328.
- Norfleet,D,M; Sarosi,P,M; Manchiraju,S; Wagner,MF,X; Uchic,M,D; Anderson,P,M; Mills,M,J, 2009, "Transformation-induced plasticity during pseudoelastic deformation in Ni-Ti microcrystals." ACTA MATERIALIA 57, no. 12, 3549 - 3561.
- Li,Lin; Anderson,Peter,M; Lee,Myoung-Gyu; Bitzek,Erik; Derlet,Peter; Van Swygenhoven,Helena, 2009, "The stress-strain response of nanocrystalline metals: A quantized crystal plasticity approach." ACTA MATERIALIA 57, no. 3, 812 - 822.
- Bitzek,E; Derlet,P,M; Anderson,P,M; Van Swygenhoven,H, 2008, "The stress-strain response of nanocrystalline metals: A statistical analysis of atomistic simulations." ACTA MATERIALIA 56, no. 17, 4846 - 4857.
- Li,Q,Z; Anderson,P,M, 2005, "Dislocation-based modeling of the mechanical behavior of epitaxial metallic multilayer thin films." ACTA MATERIALIA 53, no. 4, 1121 - 1134.
- Wang,J; Anderson,P,M, 2005, "Pinch-off maps for the design of morphologically stable multilayer thin films with immiscible phases." ACTA MATERIALIA 53, no. 19, 5089 - 5099.
- Li,Q,Z; Anderson,P,M, 2004, "A three-dimensional cellular automaton model of dislocation motion in FCC crystals." MODELLING AND SIMULATION IN MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 12, no. 5, 929 - 943.
- Anderson,P,M; Bingert,J,F; Misra,A; HIRTH,J,P, 2003, "Rolling textures in nanoscale Cu/Nb multilayers." ACTA MATERIALIA 51, no. 20, 6059 - 6075.
- Mitchell, TE, Anderson, PM, 2003, "Nucleation of Kink Pairs on Partial Dislocations: a New Model for Solution Hardening and Softening." philosphical magazine 83, no. 11, 1329 - 1346.
- Li,Q,Z; Anderson,P,M, 2001, "A compact solution for the stress field from a cuboidal region with a uniform transformation strain." JOURNAL OF ELASTICITY 64, no. 2-3, 237 - 245.
- Anderson, PM, Fleck, NA, Johnson, KL, 1990, "Localization of deformation in shear due to microcracks." Journal of Applied Mechanics 38, no. 5, 681 - 700.
Papers in Proceedings
- Li,Lin; Lee,Myoung-Gyu; Anderson,Peter,M "A Quantized Crystal Plasticity Finite Element Model for Nanocrystalline Metals: Connecting Atomistic Simulations and Experiments." in 10th International Conference on Numerical Methods in Industrial Forming Processes (NUMIFORM 2010). MELVILLE, (1 2010). 841 - 841.
- Lee,Myoung-Gyu; Wang,Jue; Anderson,Peter,M "Texture evolution maps for upset deformation of body-centered cubic metals." JOURNAL: "MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING." in Symposium on Processing and Mechanical Response of Engineering Materials held at the 2006 TMS Annual Meeting. (8 2007). 263 - 270.
- Li,Q,Z; Anderson,P,M; Mills,M; Hazzledine,P "Dislocation confinement and ultimate strength in nanoscale polycrystals." in Symposium on Mechanical Properties of Nanostructured Materials and Nanocomposites held at the 2003 MRS Fall Meeting. WARRENDALE, (1 2004). 85 - 90.
- Li,Q,Z; Anderson,P,M "Dislocation confinement and ultimate strength in nanoscale metallic multilayers." in Symposium on Mechanical Properties of Nanostructured Materials and Nanocomposites held at the 2003 MRS Fall Meeting. WARRENDALE, (1 2004). 131 - 136.
- Anderson,P,M; Li,Q,Z "Computer modeling of dislocation motion in fine-scale multilayered composites." in 3rd Symposium on Modeling the Performance of Engineering Structural Materials. Warrendale, (1 2002). 237 - 251.
- Anderson,P,M; Li,Z,Y "A Peierls analysis of the critical stress for transmission of a screw dislocation across a coherent, sliding interface." JOURNAL: "MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING." in 12th International Conference on the Strength of Materials (ICSMA 12). (12 2001). 182 - 187.
- Anderson,P,M; Rao,S; Cheng,Y; HAZZLEDINE,P,M "The critical stress for transmission of a dislocation across an interface: Results from Peierls and embedded atom models." in Symposium on Interfacial Engineering for Optimized Properties II held at the 1999 MRS Fall Meeting. WARRENDALE, (1 2000). 267 - 272.