You are here

MS with Thesis graduation procedures, MSE


First, please remember to register for at least the minimum number of required credit hours in the term in which you wish to graduate:

  • If you are self-funded, at least 3 credit hours (also applies to company/government-funded students--confirm minimum hours with funding source).
  • If funded by a GRA or Fellow position (this would include making use of a Summer Term Fee Authorization)--see enrollment instructions found on under the "MSE Graduate Students" site.
  • International students: be sure to register for the minimum number of credits required for your visa type and funding source (you may wish to confirm with OIA).

Applying to graduate

Complete the Application to Graduate request form
MSE students must complete the form at the link above to receive instructions for the submission of an Application to Graduate. Upon submission of this form, the MSE-WE Graduate Studies Coordinator will review the student's academic status. A Student Status Summary and further instructions concerning the on-line submission of an Application to Graduate by way of the Graduate School's system will be e-mailed to the student. On-line submission and GSC Chair approval of the Application to Graduate must occur by the third Friday of the planned term of graduation.


OSU Commencement information

As regards specific Commencement ceremony procedures, those who have submitted an Application to Graduate by the third Friday of the term will receive a Commencement Information Packet from the Graduate School. This will provide details on the ceremony, including your numbered assignment in the Commencement line.

This packet is provided mid-term to your local address / email address (therefore it is very important that you provide the Graduate School with your current contact information).

Any questions about the ceremony should be addressed to the Graduation Services Office within the Graduate School, 292-6031.

Exit procedures

You've worked hard completing your degree and should be proud of your accomplishments! As you prepare to leave, there are a few administrative items to address. Please follow these steps to assure that there are no loose ends left as you move on to your new career.

  1. Please complete the MSE / WE Alumni form found in the Alumni section of the MSE / WE site. This will permit us to forward any postal mail that comes for you, as well as remain in touch regarding upcoming MSE alumni events.
  2. Contact the MSE Human Resources Officer (292-6790, 177 Watts Hall) and provide an estimated date after which you will no longer be working for your advisor as a GRA (if applicable), as well as any future plans.

    If you will be remaining with the department after graduation, please inform the Graduate Studies Coordinator and MSE/WE Fiscal Officer. For example, if you will be staying on in a research capacity or other form of employment following graduation. If you do not inform these staff, your e-mail account, mailbox, and key card access may be closed.
  3. Return your lab and office keys to the MSE Fiscal Officer (292-6790, 177 Watts Hall) and also provide your forwarding address.
  4. Be sure that your advisor has all results of any research carried out on his/her projects and that your lab and office space have been cleaned up.
  5. Return tools and any other equipment to the Research Support Staff; Ken Kushner, Steve Bright, Ross Baldwin, Cameron Begg, Henk Colijn, and/or Ed Pfeifer.
  6. Department account deletion. Your MSE / WE account will be deleted from the department's servers on the first business day of the term following that in which you receive your terminal degree. Please be sure to backup or forward any important messages, documents, etc. E-mail Mike Davis (292-6928, 197 Watts Hall) and inform him of a forwarding e-mail account to which your MSE e-mail should be sent.
    • If you will be staying with the department in any capacity (such as post-doc, employee, etc.) it is critical that you inform the MSE Human Resources Officer (292-7268, 176 Watts Hall) and e-mail Mike Davis (292-6928, 197 Watts Hall) of your plans. If you do not, you run the risk of having your MSE/WE account deleted.
    • To forward your " " account, visit the OSU e-mail Forwarding Service web site.
  7. Complete the Engineering Career Services' post-graduation plans survey Your participation helps the College and the MSE/WE department understand our program's effectiveness in training students.

Alumni contact form

Complete the MSE / WE Alumni contact form
Please use the form to keep your mailing address and contact information up-to-date with the MSE/WE department!


Please e-mail the MSE Graduate Studies Coordinator, go to 143 Fontana Lab, or call (614) 292-7280 with any questions.

You may also wish to contact the Graduation Services Office in the Graduate School, 247 University Hall, at 292-6031.