Skip to main content

Transfer of graduate programs within Ohio State

The transfer of graduate programs process is available to OSU graduate students seeking to move from one graduate degree program to another within The Ohio State University. Note: This procedure is only available for currently enrolled or formerly enrolled graduate students of The Ohio State University.

International students: often the term "transfer" is used to indicate a student's desire to move from one university to another within the United States. At Ohio State, the term refers to an internal change of graduate programs within Ohio State. International students seeking to come to The Ohio State University from another US college or university should use the graduate program application procedure.

Intra-University Graduate Transfer (IGT)

Current students may transfer from one graduate program to another by completing an Intra-University Graduate Transfer (IGT) application with the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions (more below). This application requires the approval of the Graduate Studies Committee in the receiving program.

Ref: Section 2.9 of the Graduate School Handbook

Students who have already been admitted to a graduate program at The Ohio State University and who have paid fees may use this transfer process to
A) change their graduate program of study or
B) return to graduate studies in order to complete a graduate degree in another discipline.

An example of the former could be a Mechanical Engineering Master's student who wishes to transfer to MSE or WE to earn a PhD. An example of the latter might be a former MSE or WE graduate student who has been away from OSU for ten years who wishes to earn a Master's in Mechanical Engineering.


  • The Graduate Admissions office is not involved in the transfer process.
  • International students should also contact the OSU Office of International Affairs regarding proposed changes of study.

IGT Procedure

Students seeking to transfer from a graduate degree-seeking program at OSU into the MSE or WE graduate program should first contact the MSE-WE Graduate Studies Coordinator to gain a clear understanding of the transfer process and deadlines.

Reactivation: If the student has not enrolled for more than one term, but less than six terms, the student must complete the following form to reactivate his/her account:

Permission to Reactivate Enrollment Eligibility

If more than six terms have passed since last enrolled the student must be reactivated by the original department before a transfer may be processed (contact the MSE-WE Graduate Studies Coordinator for assistance).


  1. The student is to have the PDF of his/her complete application packet sent from the original graduate program to the MSE-WE Grad Coordinator. New materials may be required; the determination will be made by the MSE-WE department on a case by case basis.
  2. If approved to proceed, the student is to complete the Intra-University Graduate Transfer (IGT) application, which can be submitted free of charge. 
    1. If you are a current Ohio State student or a former student within the last three terms, click here to login using your Ohio State name.# and password 
    2. If you have not been enrolled at Ohio State in the last three terms, you will need to create a new account at
    3. Once you are logged in, select "Graduate" 
    4. Select "Degree Seeking" 
    5. Select "Graduate Intra-University Transfer" 
    6. Proceed to select your term and campus 
    7. Start your application
      Please note, you will be able to select the program you would like to transfer to after you enter the application.
  3. The Graduate School reviews the request and forwards the request to the proposed enrollment graduate program.
  4. The Graduate Studies Committee of the proposed graduate program reviews the request and indicates its action. 
  5. If approved, the Graduate School will post the decision to the student's records and inform the student.


Graduate School Fellowships and some Graduate Associate positions do not automatically transfer with students who are approved to transfer to a different graduate program. It is the student's responsibility to understand the ramifications of a transfer upon any financial support.



    Mark Cooper
    MSE-WE Graduate Studies Coordinator
    (614) 292-7280