Integrated Computational Materials Engineering for Welding
Integrated Computational Materials Engineering for Welding (ICME-W)
Intro to ICME-W
Additive manufacturing of metals (powder bed, blown-powder, binder jetting and sintering)
Light-metal and dissimilar-metal joining for transportation (automotive, shipbuilding etc.)
Creep-resistance steels and alloys for power generation
Inertia and linear friction welding for aerospace engine shafts and blisks
Resistance spot welding, projection welding and mash seam welding of sheet metals
Modeling of welding and additive manufacturing processes and materials (Abaqus, Simufact, Flow-3D, DEFORM, Thermo-Calc, LS-Dyna, and Sysweld)
Fatigue and fracture mechanics testing and analysis of welded cast steels and dissimilar joints
Specialized thermal-mechanical-metallurgical testing in Gleeble with high-temperature digital image correlation (DIC) to generate "material cards" or property database for high strength steels
1. J.K. Semple et al., Temperature-Dependent Material Property Databases for Marine Steels — Part 4: HSLA-100. Integrating Materials and Manufacturing Innovation (2023). Link to paper
2. Luke Walke et al., Peculiar roles of nickel diffusion in intermetallic compound formation at the dissimilar metal interface of magnesium to steel spot welds,
Materials & Design, Volume 230, 2023, 111980. Link to paper (open Access)
3. M. Z. Gao et al., Integrated modeling of cracking during deep penetration laser welding of nickel alloys, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 2023. Link to paper (free online copy courtesy of Taylor & Francis)
4. Colleen Hilla et al., Effect of Solutionizing Heat Treatment on Microstructure and Mechanical Behavior of Additively Manufactured Medium Gamma Prime Nickel Superalloy. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, published online 12 April 2023. Full-text access to a view-only version courtesy of Springer Nature
5. N. Zeleznik et al., Modeling the Pseudoelastic Design Space of NiTi Fabricated by Laser Powder Bed Fusion. Additive Manufacturing, 103472 (2023). Link to paper
Points of Pride
Congratulations to Dr. Colleen Hilla, who received her Ph.D. degree in Welding Engineering at the end of Spring Semester 2023
Lining up inside OSU stadium to receive Ph.D. diploma
Group photo of ICME-W (May 2023)
- Prof. Zhang is an Editor of Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, an international peer-reviewed journal covering both the basic science and applied technology of welding and joining. Considering to submit your article, you can get started from here.
- Prof. Zhang serves as a co-chair for American Welding Society's Professor Koichi Masubuchi Award that recognizes outstanding young researchers and Adams Memorial Membership Award that recognizes outstanding educators. You can find more information about these awards including the nomination packet from the links above.
- Prof. Zhang is a member of American Welding Society's Fellow Selection Committee. This honor recognizes AWS members for distinguished contributions to the field of welding science and technology, and for promoting and sustaining the professional stature of the field. More information about AWS Fellow can be found here.