Request Category M or P Status in MSE or WE
Please use this form to request graduate faculty category M or P status in the Materials Science and Engineering or Welding Engineering graduate program:
Upon submission, a copy of this form data will be sent to the email address provided, as well as to the MSE or WE Graduate Studies Chair and to Mark Cooper, MSE-WE Graduate Studies Coordinator (email@example.com | 614-292-7280) for review and processing. Upon approval, this data will be entered into GradForms.osu.edu for review and approval by the Graduate School.
- If requesting to hold category P status, please be prepared to upload a C.V.
- Applying for category M or P status in MATSCEN or WELDENG confirms willingness to take part in student committee service and other graduate faculty duties.
- "Graduate Faculty Membership" Sec 15.3 & 15.4 of the Graduate School Handbook.
- University Faculty Rule "Faculty, Governance, and Committees" Sec 3335-5 (specifically 3335-5-19 and 3335-5-29+)
- Category M--one must hold a Master's degree or higher, or equivalent, and hold a tenure-track or clinical faculty appointment at Ohio State.
- Category P--one must hold an earned Ph.D., D.M.A., Ed.D., or equivalent, must hold an appointment as a tenure-track or research-track faculty member at Ohio State, and must be engaged in an active program of research, scholarship, or creative activity, or demonstrate significant promise of establishing such a program.
Rights and responsibilities:
- Category M--act as advisor only to Master's students; participates in the governance of graduate education at all levels within the university; and serves on doctoral examination committees at the discretion of the Graduate Studies Committee.
- Category P--acts as the advisor for Master’s and Doctoral students; participates in the governance of graduate education at all levels within the university; serves on doctoral examination committees; serves as a Graduate Faculty Representative on candidacy examinations and final oral examinations. [Note that Category P status is required to chair a Candidacy Examination in MSE/WE and to chair a doctoral examination.]