Advanced Ceramics Research Laboratory
2D Analysis of PANI-CA Chemoactuator Michael Faltas, Balaji Dontha, Dr. Asimina Kiourti, Dr. Perena Gouma The Ohio State University Advanced Ceramics Laboratory, The Ohio State University Advanced ElectroScience Laboratory As-cat polyaniline (PANI) films/membranes were made by doping Leucoemeraldine PANI in hydrochloric acid before being rinsed with water and dissolved into a composite solution with cellulose acetate. The films were cut into small strips of roughly 3x12 mm and exposed to acetone (headspace analysis). The chemo-actuating response of the composite films/membranes caused it to bend inwards. In order to quantify the bending process, we introduced an image processing technique using MATLAB to capture frames from the recorded video, rasterizing, filtering, and digitizing the data to obtain intermediate binary images that can be mapped onto a 2D cartesian plane. This process is repeatable and provides the ability to continuously monitor the bending of thin films especially during the transient stages of motion.
Research Projects and Selected Videos
Dr. Mallikarjun Baburao Karadge, HCP to FCT + precipitate tranformations in lamellar gamma–TiAl alloys
Dr. Arun K.Prasad, Study of gas specificity in MoO3/WO3 thin film sensors and their arrays
Dr. Krithika Kalyanasundaram, Biomarker Sensing using Nanostructured Metal Oxide Sensors
Dr. Shantanu Sood, Polymorphism Control in Nanostructured Metal Oxides
1. Arun K. Prasad, “Processing and Microstructural Effects on the Gas Sensing Properties of MoO3 and WO3 Thin Films”, M.S. received, Aug. 2002.
2. Hongwen Zhou, “Microstructure Study of Polysilicon Thin Films and Self-Supporting Oxidized Titanium Foils”, M.S. received, Aug. 2003.
3. Saket Gadia, “ Gas Sensor Based on Reactive Ion Beam Assisted Deposition of MoO3 thin Films”, M.S. received, Aug. 2004.
4. Dong Han, “Electrospinning of Nanostructured Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering Applications”, M.S received Aug. 2005
5. Ibibia Altraide, “Propagation of Interfaces: From Tin Dendrites to Bacterial Colonies-Generating Order and Complexity from Disorder and Simplicity”, M.S. received Aug 2005.
6. Katarzyna M. Sawicka , “Urea Biosensor Based on Electrospun Biocomposites”, M.S. received May 2005.
7. Smita Gadre, “ Bio-doped Ceramics: Synthesis and Characterization”, M.S. received Fall 2006.
8. Koushik Ramachandran, “Electrospun Hydroxyapatite Incorporated Biocomposite Scaffold for Tissue Engineering” , M.S. received Dec. 2007
9. Ruipeng Xue, “Hybrid Nanostructures for Bone Tissue Engineering”, M.S. received May 2010.
10. Gagan Jodhani, “Ceramic Nanomaterials for Energy”, M.S. received December 2010.
11. Aditya Thakar, “Development of Biosensor for detection of Thrombin in blood by polyaniline nanofibers”, M.S. received May 2011.
12. Prasad Shanmugasundaram, “Photocatalytic Degradation of Azo Dyes using Doped Titania Fibers”, M.S. received, Spring 2012.
13. Sherlyn Divya, “Electrospun Mixed Oxide Photocatalysts to Decompose Dyes in Water”, M.S. received, Aug. 2013.
14. Guokuo Zheng,”High throughput electrospinning of high-quality nanofibers via an aluminum disk spinneret”, M.S. Thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, May 2014.
15. Jing Zhang, “Polyaniline and Cellulose Acetate Chemomechanical Actuator and its Selectivity for Acetone” , M.S. Thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, May 2014.
16. Ruiyao Cui, “PVP-CA composite preparation and its Characteristics”, M.S. Thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, May 2014.
17. Zhuolin Xia, “Fabrication and Characterization of Polyvinylpyrrolidone/Cu2+ Nanofibers”, M.S. Thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, May 2014.
18.Lei Li, “Polyaniline/Cellulose Acetate Composite and its Ammonium Ion Sensing Applications”, M.S. Thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, May 2014.
19. Jiahao Huang, "Preparation and sensing properties of flame spray pyrolysis prepared WO3 nano particles based sensor", M.S. Thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, August 2014.
20. Wen Ling Liao, “Processing and Characterization of "-WO3 processed by Flame Spray Pyrolysis”, M.S. thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, December 2014.
21. Yan Li, “Breath Biomarkers detection by chemical sensors”, M.S. Thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, May 2015.
22. Chao Han, “Super-Hydrophobic High-Throughput Electrospun Cellulose Acetate (CA) Nanofibrous Mats as Oil Selective Sorbents”, M.S. Thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, May 2015.
23. Xicheng Jia,”Self-supported PANI/WO3 Hybrid Photocatalyst for Dye Remediation”, M.S. Thesis, SUNY Stony Brook, May 2015.
Referred Journal Articles
O.O. Abe, G. Jodhani, P. Gouma. “On the coupled ferroelectric-electrochromic effect of ε-WO3” Journal of American Ceramic Society, v.101 (1), 2018
P.I. Gouma, L Wang, S.R. Simon, M. Stanacevic. " Novel Isoprene Sensor for a Flu Virus Breath Monitor" Sensors 17(1) 2017
C. Han, A.P. Bhagwat, P.I. Gouma. “ Oleophilic nanofibrous mats of cellulose acetate”, International journal of innovative and applied research v. 5(6) 2017 p 9-20
G. Jodhani and P. I.Gouma. "Flame Spray Pyrolysis Processing to Produce Metastable Phases of Metal Oxides," JOJ Materials Science, v.1, 2017.
G. Jodhani, J. Huang, P. Gouma. "Flame Spray Synthesis and Ammonia Sensing Properties of Pure α-MoO3 Nanosheets," Journal of Nanotechnology, 2016.
- S. Topcu, G. Jodhani and P. Gouma, "Optimized Nanostructured TiO2 Photocatalysts", Fontiers in Materials: Functional Ceramics, 3(35), 2016
- M. Mojtabavi, G. Jodhani, R. Rao, J. Zhang and P. Gouma, " A PANI–Cellulose acetate composite as a selective and sensitive chemomechanical actuator for acetone detection", Advanced Device Materials, 2(1), pp. 1-7, 2016
- S. Sood, K. Kisslinger, and P. Gouma, “Nanowire Growth by an Electron-Beam-Induced Massive Phase Transformation”, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 97(12), pp. 3733-3736, 2014.
- J. Lee, S. Divya, P. Shanmugasundaram, and P. I. Gouma, “Synthesis and Characterization of Visible-Light Activated CuO-TiO2 Nanofibrous Mats”, Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanomanufacturing, 4(2), pp. 140-145 (6), 2014
- J. Lee and P.I. Gouma, “Flame-Spray-Processed CuO-WO3 Nanopowders as Photocatalysts”, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 97(12). Pp. 3719-3720, 2014.
- S. Sood, S. Divya, and P. Gouma, “High Throughput Electrospinning of 3D Nano Fibrous Mats”, Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanomanufacturing, 4(1), pp. 39-44 (6), 2014.
- P.I. Gouma and J. Lee, “Photocatalytic Nanomats Clean Up Produced Water from Fracking”, Transl. Mater. Res., 1, 025002, 2014 (http://iopscience.iop.org/2053-1613/1/2/025002/pdf/2053-1613_1_2_025002.pdf)
- S. Sood and P. Gouma "Polymorphism in nanocrystalline binary metal oxides” Nanomaterials and Energy, 2(NME2), 1-15, 2013.
- S. Sood and P. Gouma "Polymorphic Phase Transitions in Nanocrystalline Binary Metal Oxides", J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 96 , 351-354, 2013.
- J. W. Gardner, K.C. Persaud, P. Gouma, and R. Gutierrez-Osuna, "Guest Editorial-Special issue on Machine Olfaction", IEEE Sensors Journal 12(11), 3105-3107(NOV 2012)
- P. Gouma, R. Xue, C.P. Goldbeck, P. Perrotta, and C. Balazsi, “Nano-hydroxyapatite-Cellulose Acetate Composites for Growing of Bone Cells” Mater. Sci, & Eng C., 2012.
- P. Gouma, “Nanoscale Polymorphic Oxides for Selective Chemosensors”, Science of Advanced Materials, 3(5), pp. 787-793, 2011.
- P. Gouma, A. Prasad and M. Stanacevic, “A Selective Nanosensor Device for Exhaled Breath Analysis”, J. Breath Res., 5 (3), p. 037110, 2011.
- P. Gouma, “Revolutionizing Personalized Medicine with Nanosensor Technology”, Personalized Medicine, 8(1), pp. 16-16, 2011.
- J. Lee and P.I. Gouma, “Tailored 3D CuO Nanogrid Formation”, J. Nanomaterials, in print 2011 (online access: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnm/2011/863631.html).
- L. Wang, K. Kalyanasundaram, M. Stanacevic, and P. Gouma, “Nanosensor Device for Breath Acetone Detection”, Sensor Letters, 8, (1-4), 2010.
- P. Gouma, K. Kalyanasundaram, X. Yun, M. Stanacevic and L. Wang, “Chemical sensor and breath analyzer for ammonia detection in exhaled human breath”, IEEE Sensors, Special Issue on Breath Analysis, 10 (1), pp. 49-53, 2010.
- C. Balazsi, A. Bishop, J.H.C. Yang, K. Balazsi, F. Weber, and P.I. Gouma, “Biopolymer-Hydroxyapatite Scaffolds for Advanced Prosthetics”, Composite Interfaces, 16(2-3), pp. 191-200, 2009.
- I.M. Szilagyi L.S. Wang, P.I. Gouma, C. Balazsi, J. Madarasz, and G. Pokol, “Preparation of hexagonal WO3 from hexagonal ammonium tungsten bronze for sensing NH3”, Materials Research Bulletin, 44(3), pp. 505-508, 2009.
- P.I Gouma and K. Kalyanasundaram, “A Selective Nanosensing Probe for Nitric Oxide”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 93, 244102, 2008.
- A. S. Haynes and P.I. Gouma, “Electrospun Conducting Polymer-based Sensors for Advanced Pathogen Detection”, IEEE Sensors Journal, 8(6), pp. 701-70, June 2008.
- L. Wang, A. Teleki, S.E. Pratsinis, and P.I. Gouma, “Ferroelectric WO3 Nanoparticles for Acetone Selective Detection”, Chem. Mater., 20(15), pp. 4794-4796, 2008.
- C. Balazsi, L. Wang. E.O. Zayim, I.M. Szilagyi, I.Miklos, K. Sedlackova, J. Pfeifer A.L. Toth, and P.I. Gouma, “Nanosize hexagonal tungsten oxide for gas sensing applications”, J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 28(5), pp. 913-917, 2008.
- K. Ramachandran and P.I. Gouma, "Electrospinning for Bone Tissue Engineering", Recent Patents on Nanotechnology, 2(1), pp. 1-7, 2008.
- D. Rubenstein, D. Han, S. Goldgraben, E. El-Gendi, P. I. Gouma and M.D. Frame, “Bioassay chamber for angiogenesis with perfused explanted arteries and electrospun scaffolding”, Microcirculation, 14 (7), pp. 723-737, 2007.
- K. Sahner, P. Gouma, and R. Moos, “Electrodeposited and sol-gel precipitated p-type SrTi1-xFexO3-delta semiconductors for gas sensing”, Sensors, 7(9), pp. 1871-1886, 2007.
- A. Bishop-Haynes and P. Gouma, “Electrospun polyaniline composites for NO2 detection”, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 22 (5-6), pp. 764-767, 2007.
- U. Wang, J. Pfeifer, C. Balaszi, and P.I. Gouma, “Synthesis and Sensing Properties to NH3 of hexagonal metastable nanopowders” Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 22 (5-6), pp. 773-776, 2007.
- G. Wang, Y. Ji, L.H. Zhang, Y.M. Zhu, and P.I. Gouma, “Synthesis of Molybdenum Oxide Nanoplatelets during Crystallization of the Precursor Gel from It’s Hybrid Nanocomposites”, Chemistry of Materials, 19(5), pp. 979-981, 2007.
- Cs. Balázsi, K. Kalyanasundaram, E.O. Zayim, J. Pfeifer, A,L. Tóth and P.I. Gouma, “Nanosize tungsten oxide for electrochromic and sensing applications realized by soft chemical routes, Acta Metallurgica Slovaca, 13, pp.186-190 (2007).
- S.Y. Gadre and P. Gouma, “Biodoped Ceramics: Synthesis, Properties And Applications”, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. - Invited Feature Article, 89 (10), pp. 2987-3002, 2006.
- P. Gouma, A. Bishop and K.K. Iyer, “Single Crystal Metal Oxide Nanowires as Bio-Chem Sensing Probes”, Rare Metal Materials Engineering, 35, pp. 295-298, 2006.
- K. Kalyanasundaram and P.I. Gouma, “Processing and Characterization of Nanostructured Metal Oxides for Gas Sensing Applications”, Transactions of the IEE of Japan-Transactions on Sensors and Micromachines (Section E), Invited Paper, vol. 126-E, No. 10, pp. 560-567, 2006.
- P. Gouma, K. Kalyanasundaram, and A. Bishop, “Electrospun Single Crystal MoO3 Nanowires for Bio-Chem sensing probes”, Journal of Materials Research, Nanowires and Nanotubes special issue, 21(11), pp. 2904-2910, 2006.
- M. Karadge, Y-W. Kim and P I. Gouma, “Synergistic precipitation strengthening in TiAl alloys”, Applied Physics Letters, 89(18), art. No. 181921, 2006.
- A. Bishop, Cs. Balazsi, J. Yang and P. Gouma, “Biopolymer-Hydroxyapatite composite coatings prepared by electrospinning”, Polymers for Advanced Technologies, 17(11-12), pp. 902-906, 2006.
- D. Han and P. I. Gouma, “Electrospun Bio-Scaffolds that Mimic the Topology of Extracellular Matrix”, Nanomedicine: , 2, pp. 37-41, 2006.
- P.I. Gouma, A. K. Prasad, and K.K. Iyer, “Selective Nanoprobes for `Signaling Gases`”, Nanotechnology, 17, pp. S48-S53, 2006.
- A. Teleki, S.E. Pratsinis, K. Kalyanasundaram (Iyer), and P.I. Gouma, “Sensing of organic vapors by flame-made TiO2 nanoparticles”, Sensors Act. B, 119(2), pp. 683-690, 2006.
- K. Sawicka and P. I. Gouma, “Electrospun composite nanofibers for functional applications”, J. Nanoparticle Research, 8(6), pp. 769-781, 2006.
- G.A. Wang, Y.A. Ji, X.R. Huang, X.Q. Yang, P.I. Gouma, and M. Dudley, “fabrication and characterization of polycrystalline WO3 nanofibers and their application for ammonia sensing”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 110(47), pp. 23777-23782, 2006.
- K.M. Sawicka, A.K. Prasad and P.I. Gouma, “Metal Oxide Nanowires for Use in Chemical Sensing Applications”, Sensor Letters (3), pp. 1-5, 2005.
- A. Bishop and P. Gouma, “Leuco-emeraldine based polyaniline-poly-vinyl-pyrrolidone electrospun composites and bio-composites: a preliminary study of sensing behavior”, Rev. Adv. Mater. Sci, 10 pp. 34-40, 2005.
- P. Gouma, “Nanostructured Oxide-based Selective Gas sensor Arrays for Chemical Monitoring and Medical Diagnostics in Isolated Environments”, Habitation Journal, vol. 10 (2), pp. 99-104, 2005.
- K. M. Sawicka, P. Gouma, and S. Simon, “Electrospun Bio-composite Nanofibers for Urea Biosensing”, Sensors Act. B, 108 (1-2), pp. 585-588, 2005
- M. Karadge and P.I. Gouma, “A structural aspect of a(a2) -> lamellar a2+g transformation in g-TiAl”, Phil. Mag. Lett., 84 (7), pp. 451-459, 2004.
- M. Karadge and P. I. Gouma, “Metastable phase formation during a2 (D019) to g (L10)- transformation in as-atomized g-TiAl alloy powders”, Applied Physics Letters, 85(21), pp. 4914-4916, 2004.
- L. Kovarik, P.I. Gouma, C. Kisielowski, S.A. Court, and M. J. Mills, “A HRTEM study of metastable phase formation in Al-Mg-Cu alloys during artificial aging”, Acta Mater., 52 (9), pp. 2509-2520, 2004.
- P. Gouma, S. Simon, P. Jha, and K.M. Sawicka, “Bio-composite Oxides for Resistive Detection of Pathogens”, Chemical Sensors, 20, suppl. B, pp. 72-73, 2004.
- P.I. Gouma, “Controlling Gas Selectivity through Polymorphic Selection for Metal Oxide Chemical Detectors”, Chemical Sensors, 20, suppl. B, pp. 186-187, 2004.
- M. Jaime Vasquez, G. P. Halada, C.R. Clayton, and P.I. Gouma, “Fabrication of Nano-structured Al2CuMg Thin Films by Femtosecond Pulsed Laser Ablation”, Thin Solid Films, 458 (1-2), pp. 37-42, 2004.
- J. Bai, M. Dudley, B. Raghothamachar, P. Gouma, B.J. Skromme, L. Chen, P.J. Hartlieb, E. Michaels and J. Kolis, “Correlated Structural and Optical Characterization of Ammonothermally-Grown Bulk GaN”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 84 (17), pp. 3289-3291, 2004.
- P. I. Gouma, "Nanostructured Polymorphic Oxides for Advanced Chemosensors", Rev.Adv. Mater. Sci., 5, pp. 123-138, 2003.
- A.K. Prasad, D. Kubinski, and P. I. Gouma, “Comparison of Sol-Gel and RF Sputtered MoO3 Thin Film Gas Sensors for Selective Ammonia Detection", Sensors & Actuators B, 9, pp.25-30, 2003.
- A.K. Prasad, P.I. Gouma, D. J. Kubinksi, J.H. Visser, R.E. Soltis, and P.J. Schmitz, "Reactively Sputtered MoO3 films for ammonia sensing", Thin Solid Films, 436, pp. 46-51, 2003.
- A.K. Prasad, P.I. Gouma, "MoO3 and WO3 based thin film conductimetric sensors for automotive applications", J. Mat. Sci, 38(21), pp. 4347-4352, 2003, (Invited Paper, Special Issue on Sensors).
- H.W. Zhou, B. G. Kharas, and P.I. Gouma, “Microstructure of thick polycrystalline silicon films for MEMS applications”, Sensors & Act. A, 104 (1), pp. 1-5, 2003.
- P.I. Gouma and M. Karadge,”In-situ observation of carbide and silicide precipitation in C+Si alloyed g-TiAl”, Materials Letters, 57 (22/23), pp. 3581-3587, 2003.
- M. Karadge, Y-W. Kim, and P. I. Gouma, “Precipitation Strengthening in K5 series g-TiAl alloyed with Silicon and Carbon”, Metall. Mater. Trans., 34A, pp. 2129-2137, 2003.
- X. Xu, R. P. Vaudo, G. R. Brandes, J. Bai, P. I. Gouma, and M. Dudley, “Chemical mechanical polishing for decoration and measurement of dislocations on freestanding GaN wafers”, Phys. Stat.Sol., 0 (7), pp. 2460-2463, 2003.
- Y. L. Soo, G. Kioseoglou, S. Kim, Y. H. Kao, P. Sujatha Devi, J. Parise, R. J. Gambino, and P. I. Gouma, "Local Environment Surrounding Magnetic Impurity Atoms in a Structural Phase Transition of Co-Doped TiO2 Nanocrystal Ferromagnetic Semiconductors", Appl. Phys. Lett. , 81, pp.655-657, 2002.
- T. Ramgopal, P. I. Gouma, and G. S. Frankel, “Role of Grain Boundary Precipitates and SDZ on the Intergranular Corrosion of Aluminum Alloy AA7150”, Corrosion, 58, 687, 2002.
- S. Karthikeyan, G.B. Viswanathan, P. I. Gouma, V. K. Vasudevan, Y-W. Kim, and M. J. Mills, “Mechanisms and effect of microstructure on creep of TiAl-based alloys”, Mat. Sci. Eng. A, 329, pp.621-630, Special Issue on Structural Intermetalics, Jun 2002.
- P. I. Gouma, D. J. Lloyd, and M. J. Mills, “Precipitation Processes in Al-Mg-Cu Alloys”, Mater. Sci. Eng., A319-321, pp. 439-442, 2001.
- M. C. Carroll, P. I. Gouma, G. S. Daehn, and M. J. Mills, “Effects of Minor Cu Additions on a Zn-modified Al-5083 Alloy”, Mater. Sci. Eng., A319-321, pp. 425-428, 2001.
- P. I. Gouma and M. J. Mills, “Anatase to Rutile Transformation in Titania Powders”, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 84 , pp. 619-622, 2001.
- J. L. Searles, P.I. Gouma, and R. G. Buchheit, “Stress Corrosion Cracking of Sensitized AA5083 (Al-4.5Mg-1.0Mn)”, Metall. and Mater. Trans, 32A, pp. 2859-2867, Nov. 2001.
- J. E. Kertz, P.I. Gouma, and R. G. Buchheit, “ Localized Corrosion Susceptibility of Al-Li-Cu-Mg-Zn Alloy AF/C458 Due to Interrupted Quenching from Solutionizing Temperatures”, Metall. and Mater. Trans. , 32A, pp. 2561-2573, Oct. 2001.
- P. I. Gouma, M. J. Mills and K. H. Sandhage, “The Fabrication of Free-Standing Titania-based Gas Sensors by the Oxidation of Metallic Titanium Foils”, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 83(4), pp. 1007-1009, 2000.
- M. C. Carroll, P. I. Gouma, M. J. Mills, G. S. Daehn, and B. R. Dunbar, “Effects of Zn additions on the grain boundary precipitation and corrosion of Al-5083”, Scripta Mater., 42(4), pp. 335-340, 2000.
- P. I. Gouma, P. K. Dutta, and M. J. Mills, “Structural Stability of Titania Thin Films”, Nanostructured Materials, 11(8), pp. 1231-1237, 1999.
- P. K. Dutta, A. Ginwalla, B. Hogg, B. R, Patton, B. Chwieroth, Z. Liang, P. Gouma, M. Mills, and S. Akbar, “Interaction of Carbon Monoxide with Anatase Surfaces at High Temperatures: Optimization of a Carbon Monoxide Sensor”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 103, pp. 4412-4422, 1999.
- P.I. Gouma, M.J. Mills, and Y-W. Kim, “Characterization of the Precipitation Process in a TiAl-based Alloy with Carbon and Silicon Additions”, Phil. Mag. Lett, 78 (1), pp.59-66, 1998.
- P. I. Gouma, S. A. Akbar, and M. J. Mills, “Microstructural Characterization of Sensors based on Electronic Ceramic Materials”, JOM, 50 (11), presented as JOM-e, Nov. 1998.
- P. I. Gouma, K. Subramanian, Y-W. Kim, and M. J. Mills, “Annealing studies of g-titanium aluminides alloyed with light elements for creep strengthening”, Intermetallics, 6, pp. 689-693, 1998.
- P. I. Gouma, S. J. Davey, and M.H. Loretto, “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of a TiAl-based Powder Alloy Containing Carbon”, Mat. Sci. & Eng., 241 (1-2), pp.151, 1998.
- P.I. Gouma, S. Davey, M. A, Ashworth, P.A. Blenkinsop, and M. H. Loretto, “Heterogeneities in Cold Crucible Melted and Gas Atomised TiAl-based Alloys”, Powder Metallurgy, 40 (2), pp. 135-138, 1997.
- P.I. Gouma, N. Saunders and M.H. Loretto, "Microstructural Evolution and Microsegregation of Gas-atomised Powders of a TiAl-based Alloy", Materials Science and Technology: MST, 12, pp. 823-829, Oct. 1996.
- B. White, A. Deakin, P. I. Gouma, and R. Rada, “The Evolution of a University Research Department Facilitated by a Groupware System (MUCH)-An extended Study-Part I”, Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 18 (4,), Sept. 1997.
- A.G. Deakin, P.-I. Gouma, and R. Rada, “The Plan-Facilitator and the Plan-Document”, Journal of Intelligent Systems, 4(1-2), pp. 83-111, 1994.
- A. Michailidis, R. Rada, and P. I. Gouma, “A Study of Efficiency in Computer-Supported Collaborative Writing”, Journal of Intelligent Systems, 4 (1-2), pp. 133-162, 1994.
(Selected) Refereed Conference Papers
- P Gouma, M Stanacevic, Y Karimi, J Huang, G Jodhani, "No nanosensor and single exhale breathalyzer for asthma monitoring", 2017 ISOCS/IEEE International Symposium on Olfaction and Electronic Nose (ISOEN), 28-31 May 2017, pp. 1-3 (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=7968892&isnumber=7968838)
- P.I. Gouma, M. Alkhader, and M. Stanacevic, “Metabolic Rate Monitoring and Weight Reduction/Management”, Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 36th Annual Conference of the IEEE, 26-30 Aug 2014, pp. 3184-3187, IEEE, 2014 (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6944299)
- S. Sood, G. Zheng, and P. Gouma, “High Throughput Synthesis of Ceramic Nanofibers”, MRS Proc. Vol. 1659, MRS 2014
- P. Gouma, S.Sood "3-sensor Array for Hand Held Breath Diagnostic Tool",. MRS Online Proceedings Library / Volume 1522 / (2013)
- Y. Lin, P. Gouma and M. Stanacevic, “A low-power wide-dynamic-range readout IC for breath analyzer system”, 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), May 19-23, 2013.
- P. Gouma and M Stanacevic, “Selective Nanosensor Array Microsystem for Exhaled Breath Analysis”, Procedia Eng., 25, pp. 1557-1560, 2011.
- A. Ambre, M. Stanacevic, and P. Gouma, “Handheld Numerical Prototype for Breath Analyzing Sensor”, AIP Conf > Proc. 1362, 159, 2011.
- P.I. Gouma, K. Ramachandran, M. Firat, M. Connolly, R. Zuckermann, Cs. Balaszi, P. L. Perrotta, and R. Xue, “Novel Bioceramics for Bone Implants”, Advances in Bioceramics and Porous Ceramics II, eds. R. Narayan, P. Colombo, D. Singh, and J. Salem, Wiley, 2010.
- L. Wang, J. Pfeifer and P. I. Gouma, “Synthesis and sensing property of hexagonal WO3 metastable nanopowders, ACUN-5 Proceedings (UNSW Sydney Australia), pp.524-528, 11-14 July 2006.
- A. Bishop and P. Gouma, “Self Assembly in Biologically Synthesized Electrospun Electroactive Polymers, “Electroresponsive Polymers and Their Applications”, edited by V. Bharti, Y. Bar-Cohen, Z.-Y. Cheng, Q. Zhang, J. Madden, Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings, v. 889, 0889-W01-06, Warrendale, PA, 2006
- A. Bishop, D. Kubinski, and P. Gouma, “Polyaniline Based Hybrids for NH3 Sensing” Proceedings of the 11th International Meeting on Chemical Sensors, IMCS-11, Brescia, Italy, 2006.
- A. Bishop and P. Gouma, “Electrospun Polyaniline Composites for NO2 Detection”, Proceedings of the ACUN-5 International Composites Conference: Advanced, Infrastructure, Natural and Nanocomposites, (UNSW Sydney Australia), 2006.
- K. K. Iyer, A. K. Prasad, P. I. Gouma, “A smart medical diagnostic tool using resistive sensor technology”, in Materials and Devices for Smart Systems II, edited by Y. Furuya, J., Su, I. Takeuchi, V. K. Varadhan, J. Ulicny, (Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 888, Warrendale, PA, 0888-V10-10, 2006.
- G. Wang, X. Huang, M. Dudley, and P.I. Gouma, “Electrospun tungsten oxide nanofibers: fabrication and characterization”, Proc. “Nanostructured Materials and Hybrid Composites for Gas Sensors and Biomedical Applications”, eds. P. Gouma, D. Kubinski, E. Comini, and V. Guidi, Materials Research Society, Warrendale, PA, in print, 2006.
- P. I. Gouma, A. Bishop, K. K. Iyer, “Single Crystal Metal Oxide Nanowires as Bio-Chem Sensing Probes”, Proceedings of the 6th East Asia Conference on Chemical Sensors. Guilin, China, 2005.
- A. Bishop and P. Gouma, "Electrospun bio-nano-composites for electronic pathogen detection devices", Proceedings of the International Conference on Bio-Nano-Informatics (BNI) Fusion, 2005.
- A. Bishop, C.S. Balazsi, and P. Gouma, “Hydroxyapatite Biocomposite Coatings Prepared by Electrospinning for Advanced Prosthetics”, Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Polymers for Advanced Technologies, 2005.
- D. Han, S. Goldgraben, M. D. Frame and P.I. Gouma, “ A novel nanofiber scaffold by electrospinning and its utility in microvascular tissue engineering”, Proc. Mat. Res. Soc. Symp., Vol. 845, Warrendale, Pa, 2005 (in print).
- A. K. Prasad and P. Gouma, “ Nanostructured Sensor Arrays for Bio-Chemical Detection”, Ceramic Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology III, Ceramic Transactions, Volume 159, Eds. Songwei Lu, Michael Z. Hu, and Yury Gogotsi, in print, 2004.
- A.K. Prasad, S. Gadia, and P. I. Gouma, “ Gas Sensor Arrays Using Nanostructured Thin Films of Molybdenum and Tungsten Oxides”, Microsc. Microanal. 10 (Suppl 2), pp. 18-19, 2004 (invited).
- M. Karadge and P. I. Gouma, “On the mechanism of fine lamellar structure formation in g-TiAl powders”, ”, Microsc. Microanal. 10 (Suppl 2), pp. 314-315, 2004.
- K. Sawicka, M. Karadge and P. I. Gouma, “Oxidation synthesized CuO nanowires for gas sensing applications', ”, Microsc. Microanal. 10 (Suppl 2), pp. 360-361, 2004.
- K. Sawicka, P. Gouma, and S. Simon, “Electrospun Biocomposite Nanofibers for Biosensing”, in Chemical Sensors VI: Chemical and Biological Sensors and Analytical Methods, Eds: C. Bruckner-Lea, G. Hunter, N. Miura, P. Vanysek, M. Egashira, and F. Mizutani, ECS, pp. 354-358, 2004.
- K. M. Sawicka, A.K. Prasad, S. Gadia, and P.I. Gouma, “Processing and Characterization of Nanostructured Metal Oxides and Nanocomposites for Use in Chemical Sensing Applications“, Proc. 2nd AIST Int. Workshop on Chemical sensors, pp. 41-49. (Advanced Manufacturing Research Institute, Nagoya, Japan), 2004 (invited).
- P. Jha, A.K. Prasad, K. M. Sawicka, and P. I. Gouma, “nanostructured Materials for Sensors”, Proc. Int. Conf. on Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Characterization and Application, Kolkata, India, Eds. S. Badyopadhyay et al, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, pp. 105-112, 2004 (invited).
- P. Jha and P.I. Gouma, “ Synthesis of bio-doped oxides for urea sensing”, Proc. IEEE Sensors 2004 Conference, in print, 2004.
- J. Bai, G. Dhanaraj, P. Gouma, M. Dudley, and M. Mynbaeva, “Porous SiC for HT chemical sensing devices: an assessment of its thermal stability”, Materials Science Forum, 457-460 (II), pp. 1479-1482, 2004.
- P. Gouma, E. Comini, and G.Sberveglieri, ” Sol-gel processed MoO3 and WO3 thin films for use as selective chemosensors”, Proc. of SPIE, Int. Symp. on “Microelectronics, MEMS and Nanotechnology”, vol. 5275, Eds: D.V. Nicolau, U.R. Miller and J.M. Dell, pp. 68- 75 , 2004.
- M. Karadge, Y-W. Kim and P I. Gouma, “a2 decomposition and H-carbide/z-silicide precipitate evolution in precipitation strengthened FL g-TiAl”, Gamma Titanium Aluminides 2003, Eds: Y-W. Kim, H Clemens and A H Rosenberger, 2003 TMS Annual Meeting and Exhibition, San Diego, California, March 2-6, pp. 437-442, 2003.
- P.I. Gouma, M. Karadge, and Y-W. Kim, “Precipitation strengthening of fully lamellar gamma TiAl alloyed with carbon and Silicon”, Invited paper, Materials Science Forum, 426-4, 4635-4640, 2003.
- M. Karadge and P I. Gouma, “Observation of structural modulations and formation of H-carbide and z-silicides during a2 to g transformation in fully lamellar g-TiAl”, Mat. Res. Symp. Proc., Defect properties and related phenomena in intermetallic alloys, Eds : E.P. George, H. Inui, M.J. Mills, G. Eggeler, vol. 753, pp 209-215, 2003.
- H. Zhou and P. I. Gouma, “Microsructure of thick polycrystalline Si films for MEMS applications”, Proc. Microscopy and Microanalysis 2002, Eds: E. Voelkl, D. Piston, R. Gauvin, AJ Lockley, GW Bailey and S. McKernan, Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- L. Kovarik, P. I. Gouma, C. Kisielowski, S.A. Court, and M. J. Mills, “High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy Study of the Early Stages of Aging in Al-Mg-Cu Alloys”, Materials Science Forum, 396-402 (2), pp. 845-850, 2002.
- J.L. Searles, P. I. Gouma, and R.G. Buchheit, “Stress Corrosion Cracking of Sensitized AA5083 (Al-4.5Mg-1.0Mn)”, Materials Science Forum, 396-4, pp. 1437-1442, 2002.
- P. I. Gouma, S. Banerjee, and M. J. Mills, “TiO2-based Gas Sensors as Thick or Thin Films: An Evaluation of the Microstructure”, in Ceramic Transactions: Dielectric Ceramic Materials, vol.100, pp. 419-428, 1999.
- P. Thamboon, S. Yao, P. Gouma, and S. A. Akbar, “Solid Electrolyte-Based NOx Sensors”, Ceram. Trans..A, pp. 221-230, 1999.
- P.I. Gouma, K. Subramanian, Y-W. Kim, and M.J. Mills, “Precipitation and Creep Strengthening Mechanisms in K5 Series g-TiAl Alloys”, in High Temperature Ordered Intermetallic Alloys VIII, MRS Symp. Proc. Series, vol. 552, Eds. E. P. George, M. J. Mills, and M. Yamaguchi, KK2.11.1-KK2.11.6, 1999.
- P.I. Gouma and M.H. Loretto, "Electron Microscopy Studies of Gas-Atomised and HIPped Powders of Ti-48Al-2Mn-2Nb", in Institute of Physics Conference Series, vol. 147, ed. D. Cherns, Univ. of Birmingham, U.K., pp. 507-510, 12-15 Sept. 1995.
- P.I. Gouma, M.H. Loretto, S. Davey, M.A. Ashworth, and P.A. Blenkinsop, " The Effects of HIP Processing in Ti-48Al-2Mn-2Nb Gas-atomised Powders", Proc. of the International Conference on Hot Isostatic Pressing, Andover, Massachusetts, p. 243-248, 20-22 May 1996.
- P.I. Gouma and M. H. Loretto, "The Microstructure of a TiAl-based Alloy Produced by the Ingot and Powder-Route", Proc. of the Conf. Titanium '95: Science and Technology, eds. P. A. Blenkinsop, W. J. Evans, and H. M. Flower, Birmingham, UK, p. 550-557, 1995.
- P.I. Gouma and M. H. Loretto, "Analytical Electron Microscopy of a Carbon-Containing Atomised TiAl-based Alloy", Proc. of the Conf. EUREM'96, 26-30 August, Dublin, Ireland, 1996.
- P. I. Gouma and M. J. Mills, “Electron Microscopy of TiO2-based Thick Films of Gas Sensors”, in Institute of Physics Conference Series, vol. 153, Ed. J. M. Rodenburg, pp. 491-494, Cambridge, UK, 2-5 Sept. 1997.
- S. Banerjee, P. I. Gouma, and M. J. Mills, “Microstructural Characterization of Annealed Samples of Pure Yttria using Electron Microscopy”, Proc. Microscopy & Microanalysis Conference, vol 3, suppl. 2, pp. 723-724, Cleveland, OH, Aug. 10-14, 1997.
- M. H. Jacobs, A. L. Dowson, P. I. Gouma, and M. H. Loretto, “Induction Cold Crucible Melting and Pouring of Titanium Alloys for Spray Forming and Gas Atomised Powder Production”, International Congress of Electromagnetic Processing of Materials, Paris, Vol.1, pp. 243-248, May 26-29, 1997.