Emergencies: call 9 1 1
Campus Police, non-emergency: call (29)2-2121
Watts Hall: 2041 College Rd.
MacQuigg Labs: 105 W. Woodruff Ave.
Fontana Labs: 116 W. 19th Ave.
Koffolt Labs: 140 W. 19th Ave.
Edison Joining Technology Center: 1248 Arthur Adams Drive
MSE Safety Officer:
Steve Bright (68)8-3021, 244 MacQuigg Labs
Contact Steve for the following:
- Gas cylinders
- Equipment inventory
- Hard trash pickup
- Surplus material pickup
Back-Up MSE Safety Officer:
Ken Kushner (29)2-7128, 069A MacQuigg Labs
WE Safety Officer:
Jen Conrad (29)2-4139, Edison Joining Technology Center
Back-Up WE Safety Officer:
Josh McCarty (29)2-1182, Edison Joining Technology Center
OSU Office of Environmental Health and Safety
The Office of Environmental Health and Safety assists the university community in providing and maintaining safe, healthful work environments. EHS is one of the best resources on campus for issues pertaining to safety.
1314 Kinnear Rd.
Columbus, OH 43212
Radiation Safety Emergency Response Pager: 614-240-0705
Radiation Safety: Fax: 614-292-7002
Lab Standard Training
This training is offered by the EHS Office on a regular basis and is required of all OSU employees (including GRAs, Fellows, Post-docs and Visiting Scholars) who work in a laboratory setting, per OSHA regulations. Please contact EHS at (29)2-1284 to register for training.
Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
Hard copies of MSE-related MSDS are available in 177 Watts Hall.
Hard copies of WE-related MSDS are available inside the entrance to the Edison Joining Technology Center (EJTC) and in 140 ETJC.
- MSDS Search, EHS at OSU
- What information does an MSDS contain?
- Link to an MSDS Glossary of terms
- Link to a PDF version of the Chemical Management Guidebook The Chemical Management Guidebook helps users comply with the various environmental regulations related to infectious waste,hazardous waste, laboratory safety guidelines, spill cleanup procedures, waste minimization and chemical redistribution, collecting, packaging and manifesting waste, and dealing with waste that requires special handling or disposal procedures.
Chemical Hygiene Plan
See your advisor for chemical hygiene and handling procedures specific to your research group.
Employee Accident Report Form
The Employee Accident Report must be completed for every work-related accident or illness. This report will:
- Assist employees in obtaining immediate medical treatment
- Inform supervisor/charge person of the accident
- Be recorded for follow-up and future prevention
Download Employee Accident Report form (PDF, 156K)
Release From Responsibility for Volunteers and Visitors
Download Volunteer and Visitor Release form (PDF, 64K)
This form is to be completed by volunteers or visitors using MSE department facilities.
Lab Safety Manual and Safety Exam
MSE Lab Safety Manual
MSE Lab Safety Exam
The MSE department requires all students involved with in-lab research activity to:
- Become familiar with the MSE Lab Safety Manual.
- Take, and pass, the MSE Lab Safety Exam.
- Attend a Lab Standard Training Seminar.
Hazard Communication Plan
Information found in this plan details many of the safety practices, procedures and chemicals used in the MSE labs. A hard copy of the plan is kept in 177 Watts Hall. This information also is available by viewing the Materials Safety Data Sheets and the MSE Lab Safety Manual.
Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards
Developed by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), the Pocket Guide is intended as a source of general industrial hygiene information for several hundred different chemicals.
Buckeye Alert System
OSU has created a text message alert system for the public to
stay informed of potential campus emergencies.
Link to alert system sign-up site