Travel reimbursement process
Travel reimbursement instructions for both visiting guests who have been offered reimbursement for some portion of travel costs, as well as, MSE-WE students and employees seeking travel reimbursement.
Travel reimbursement involves a two-step process, submission and approval of estimated travel costs before travel and a second form detailing actual costs following travel.
Our department follows the OSU Travel Policy (PDF). On the whole, this policy seeks to reimburse the "lowest reasonable" travel expenses incurred by our guests. Thus the reimbursement amount will match the most cost effective method of travel (airfare, rental car, personal auto). The total reimbursement allowed may be limited, so please confirm this limit with the department contact or supervisor prior to paying any travel costs. As a general rule, meal costs are not reimbursed, though per diem rates may be available for OSU students/employees per supervisor approval.
Pre-trip--prior to your travel to OSU. All travel must be pre-approved to qualify for reimbursement. This is accomplished with the Pre-Trip worksheet. An OSU employee must have written approval from his/her supervisor prior to travel.
Please submit this form to the MSE-WE contact or supervisor at least two weeks prior to traveling to OSU.
Failure to submit this form before traveling will require submission of an exception petition form after travel (see below).
Post-trip--submit within 30 days of travel--two forms are involved, Post-Trip and AP Compliance
Use this form to detail the amounts to be reimbursed and the business purpose for each amount. Attach original receipts.
Compliance form / W9 (PDF)
This form is for non-OSU employees which includes guests and OSU students not currently employed by the university.
NOTE: traveler must sign this form; form asks for SSN, therefore please do not email the form to us but rather print and mail it to the department address below.
Original hard-copy receipts for any amounts to be reimbursed must accompany the post-trip paperwork. This information is to be submitted no later than 30 days after the travel dates. [jump to instructions for completing the forms]
Following receipt of these items, the forms and receipts will be reviewed and, if all needed items are provided, the reimbursement request will be forwarded to the College of Engineering Business Office. A staff member from that office will contact the traveler by email and confirm the allowed reimbursement amount. Once signed confirmation is received by the Business Office reimbursement will be mailed to the guest. The approximate time frame for this process following receipt of all needed items is two to four weeks.
Questions about reimbursement should be directed to the MSE-WE department contact for follow up.
Helpful guidelines to speed the pre-travel and reimbursement process for department students, staff, and faculty.
- Itemized receipts may be required, so it is important to keep all receipts during travel.
- Submit original, legible receipts for any requested reimbursement amounts.
- Receipts must indicate method of payment, such as "Visa XXXX1234" and the amount paid.
- A brief business purpose is to be provided for each reimbursed expense. For example, request for parking reimbursement should state why parking was necessary ("parking at conference location" etc.).
- Car rental is to be reserved by means of the OSU contract with Enterprise or National (see below).
- Pre-payment of some costs--such as airfare, conference registration, and lodging--may be available for OSU students and employees, including cash advances. Please contact the MSE Business Manager for details.
- Per Diem If the OSU student or employee is alloted a daily reimbursement amount for meals, travelers are to provide detailed costs for each meal to be reimbursed. The cost of meals provided as part of travel or a business-related event (for example during a flight or as part of a conference) will not be allowed as part of a per diem reimbursement.
- OSU students and employees: it is helpful to provide on the Pre-Trip form the account number to which the costs will be billed. This number is provided by the supervisor.
The Travel Office is responsible for oversees the eTravel system. Provides mileage & per diem rates, Pre- and Post-Trip Worksheets, policies, contacts, and more.
Our department follows the OSU Travel Policy (PDF)
Rental car--OSU discount code and procedure
If renting a car as part of a visit to the MSE department, department policy requires that this be done by way of the OSU rental car agreement with either Enterprise or National. While less expensive rentals may be available, the OSU agreements include insurance coverage required by the university. The codes necessary to activate the OSU agreement may be obtained by contacting Mark Cooper or the MSE Business Manager.
Rentals made with non-contracted rental car agencies must adhere to the OSU Travel Policy (PDF) (see "Rental Car Services"). Those rentals made that do not meet the policy may not be reimbursed.
OSU Research Foundation (OSURF)
Travel plays an important role in many research projects. This resource provides helpful guidance to faculty and staff on the best (and easiest) way to plan travel and to be reimbursed for associated costs.
- CoE Travel Exception Form (PDF) -- used to petition the submission of forms and/or requests outside of established procedures.
- CoE Travel Policy and Procedure (PDF)
Completing the post-trip forms
Questions? Please contact Mark Cooper at email@example.com or (614) 292-7280 should you have any questions.
Please mail these forms, along with all receipts/supporting items, to:
Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering
477 Watts Hall
2041 College Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210
International guests must supply copies of visa information, see details below.
Instructions for key sections of the form...
- Please provide the address to which the reimbursement check should be sent, along with your e-mail address.
- The affiliation of guests is "Non-University".
- The reason you are visiting Ohio State.
Actual Travel Dates & Locations
- The "Departure City/State/Country" will be the city from which your reimbursable travel begins, along with the date and time you left (estimated times are fine). Your "Destination 1" is Columbus, OH. The "Return Date and Time" would be the approximate time that you leave Columbus to return to the departure site.
- Airfare: list cost.
- Other: list taxi fares here; we do not reimburse car rentals unless previously approved.
- Personal Vehicle: we do not reimburse mileage for visits unless previously approved. We will reimburse fuel costs with receipts. These should be itemized in the "Other" fields.
- Meals: we do not reimburse meal costs unless previously approved.
- Lodging: we will provide reimbursement funds only toward the cost of the room. Any additional charges to the room are the guest's responsibility.
PLEASE PROVIDE ORIGINAL RECEIPTS. We can not reimburse costs without receipts.
AP Compliance W-9 form
NOTE: The AP Payment Compliance Form is only required of US citizens and Permanent Residents.
Please complete section #1.
Section 2, please check "Individual" and enter your date of birth.
Section 3, please enter your SSN or Tax ID#.
Section 4, check your classification.
Section 5, please sign (the form will not be processed without a signature).
Do not email this form. Please print the form, sign it, and mail it to the address above. It is against university policy to send documents by email that contain Social Security Numbers.
Along with these OSU forms, you must also submit copies of the following documents:
- Current US visa page from your passport
- Bio page from your passport
- I-94 form
- I-20 (if on F-1 visa) or DS-2019 (if on J-1 visa)
- If holding a B-2 or WT visa, please complete a Compliance Form for Payments to B or W Visa Holders (PDF)